eight. too innocent

I stared at the plastic material that hovered over me, the small technicolor lights calming my nerves

I stared at the plastic material that hovered over me, the small technicolor lights calming my nerves. "Okay Eliza, you're going to hear loud noises. Just push the button if you want to stop." I nodded at their voices, my body had moved under the claustrophobic tunnel. A loud machine started, causing me to jump. I tried to keep myself from moving, my hand picking at the hem of my pants, something they had recommended to me when I needed to calm my nerves.

I closed my eyes, ignoring the possible situations that could've been wrong with my brain. Strands of impossible thoughts ran through my mind, distracting me from reality. I drifted to a part of my brain I could trust, remembering past memories of the real Eliza Taylor that my mother disapproved of. I couldn't help but laugh at the different person I became.

"Now they're testing your brain. No amount of medication or testing could fix someone like you." Everything went dark, except a light behind him, highlighting his figure. "You are letting them to believe that you are damaged beyond compare. You aren't."

Every part of my body tensed at his touch, he had held my hand, rubbing his thumb gently across my palm. Hills formed upon my skin, the hairs standing up in sync. I closed my eyes tightly, holding my breath.

"Eliza, you have no reason to be afraid of me."

It felt like years before the rumbling of the machine had faded into silence. I sat up from the patient table, a tear falling down my cheek. Corinne had ran into the room, engulfing me into a hug. I was hesitant to hug back but I found comfort in her grip. I wrapped my arms around her back, holding her close - or a close as we could be.

"Eliza, what happened to you?" Corinne sobbed into my neck, rubbing my back with a hint of sympathy. It was easy to tell from her reaction that something wasn't right but it didn't take a secret agent to figure that out.

The events that had happened in the organization had been a blur. All I could remember was the pain that had been done, not only to me but thousands of other innocent lives. The fear that haunted the halls had been deathly. The threatening silence between us had filled the room, she had still been holding me in a hug, not knowing what to say.

"You should've seen the damage to your brain, I don't understand how you're still surviving." The damage had already been done. Those words hadn't been important to me; not because I didn't but because I didn't want to hear the news on how my mind had been tampered with.

"I'm so sorry, Liz."

But no amount of sorries could reverse what had been done.

_______

'The body has yet to be identified but investigators are on the scene. So far no information has been released to the public, that's if they even know anything." The voice had faded to the background of my thoughts. I stared at the flashing lights on the screen with words plastered in white that I couldn't read.