nine. a deck of cards

I open the wine-colored door, the living room had been pitch black causing me to blindly walk to the stairs

I open the wine-colored door, the living room had been pitch black causing me to blindly walk to the stairs. The lamp that sat next to the brown leather couch, that had been terribly worn out, turned on. My mother sat in the chair, her under eyes prominent showing her lack of sleep. She was dressed in her uniform, her badge attached to her hip.

"Mom, you don't need to wait for me."

"No, of course. Let me be the terrible mother that soundly sleeps in her bed while her daughter is god knows where" She said standing up with a small hint of anger. "Eliza Avery, you are my daughter, I have a right to worry and as long as you live in this house I will continue to stay up at night until you're home."

I stood in front of her, biting the skin off of my lips cracked lips, a nervous habit I had never grown out of. She grabbed my arms, rubbing my arms slightly. "Get some sleep, Kurt is finally coming home for breakfast."

"Of course he is. Mom, the man is all pride and prude" I looked at her, rolling my eyes at his dreadful name. He had been the top-rated R&D Manager in New York, he was also the top-rated asshole. "But I can't. I promised dad I would spend the day with him and Corinne."

My mother had stopped in her tracks, turning back around to me, this time with fury in her eyes. "Well you have to cancel. Your father has multiple days with you and Kurt has very limited time with you guys and he would appreciate your presence tomorrow." Though with her high-pretentious voice, I could feel the anger that was intertwined. In her efforts to sound calm, she had failed.

"Mom, I don't need Kurt to tell me everything I'm doing wrong in my life as he is spreading jam on his toast with his silk tie that was imported from the finest place in Asia" I scoffed walking to the fridge to cure the pounding in my head. I scoured the racks that had been filled with healthy food that Kurt had supplied; he demanded that anything that entered the cold box had to be organic or he wouldn't eat it.

"Maybe he might be right, if you actually cared to listen" She muttered folding a blanket that had been tossed on the couch recklessly, probably by Michael and his unwillingness to pick up after himself.

I slammed the fridge door causing some of the matching magnets to fall to the ground. She jumped in shock, holding her hand over her chest. "Elizabeth -"

"You don't get it Mom. I get it, I'm not the perfect child but you only seem to pay attention to the mistakes I made. I graduated from college and all you see is the girl who got drunk and ended up in the police station when I was 16. He makes me feel like crap but because he buys your love we have to sit there and take his cold insults?" I exclaimed, although it had been loud, I believed I had to make a point - yet another mistake.

"Eliza, don't you dare think for one second that you have a right to stand here and yell at me" She gathered her own frustrations, clenching her hand into a fist. "Get out of my house before -"