Chapter Six

I'm a bit nervous because the Sorting Hat knows me- he’s already sorted me into a house before. I wonder what it’s going to say this time. I'm staying in this separate tower on the edge of the forest, since I don’t have a house yet. 

Time started creeping by slowly as I waited in the tower, doing nothing. Finally 6pm came and it was time for me to be sorted into my house. I got ready and left the tower, leaving my stuff in my suitcase. I walked up the green lawns and into the Entrance Hall, sitting down up at the staff table with Dumbledore, watching everyone flood in and taking their seats. I saw McGonagall bring the three-legged stool and tattered witch hat with her as she emerged with the Gryffindors. When everyone was settled Dumbledore rose.

“Attention everyone! You all might be wondering why I have called you here. We have a new student joining us, in Sixth year,” I heard a couple whispers from the four tables as they all stared at me. I looked over to Draco’s table and saw him staring at me, wide-eyed. I smiled at him deviously and returned my gaze to the stool and hat that McGonagall placed in the front of the Hall. “Now then, Rosalie May! If you please.” Dumbledore suddenly said and turned to me. For a split second I couldn’t remember my name, so I just stood there, staring at him, receiving sniggers from the school. My legs suddenly took me over to the stool and sat me down forcefully. 

McGonagall put the hat on my head and listened with the rest of the school.

“Ahh… Haven’t I already placed you in your house? You have changed… You are more protective of yourself, more insane, you have been through a lot this year… You’re growing weak… Not knowing what you’re doing here, on earth, are you?” It spoke. I shook my head, hoping no one would hear the voice. “Oh but I think I have put you in your house before… But I will say it once more. GRY-” It stopped when I kept whispering to myself.

“Slytherin, Slytherin, Slytherin…”

“Slytherin aye? Why’s that? Got a change of heart have you? No… You don’t fit into Slytherin… No, no, not at all…” I looked around at everyone, their eyes staring into my soul.

“Nope. No Slytherin for you… GRYFFINDOR!” It shouted. I clenched the stool hard with my hands, so hard that my knuckles turned white. My teeth were gritted. Not again… I heard a couple claps from the Gryffindor table. Awkward much? The hat disappeared from my head as I slowly made my way to the Gryffindor table, sitting as far away as everyone as I could. When the feast came upon the table, I suddenly wasn’t hungry. I was so angry that I got sorted into Gryffindor, again. Am I not good enough for Slytherin? What did the Sorting Hat mean that I don’t know what I’m doing here? I know my fate, my destiny… But, that’s someone else’s fate, to kill. I, I don’t want to kill anyone… Not Dumbledore, not Harry, not… Voldemort… Not anyone. I was in too much stress to eat, so I just sat there, watching everyone else eating like pigs. Five minutes past and Dumbledore must have noticed that I wasn’t eating because he got from his seat and walked over to me, sitting down.

“Why aren’t you eating Rosalie?” He asked, his eyes sparkling.

“That’s not my name-” I stopped when I realized that it was my name. “I mean, yeah it is- my name’s Rosy.” I quickly said, smiling awkwardly. 

“Rosy? I thought it was Rosalie?” He asked, a smile tugging on his lips. I widened my eyes.

“Oh! Right yeah, but- my nickname is, uh, Rose! So yeah, call me Rose- or Rosy, you know.” I quickly made up. Go me.

“Oh, alright then.” He said, dropping subject. “So, why aren’t you eating, Rose?” He asked again.

“I'm not hungry right now- I- um, I'm a bit tired actually, so I'm just going to go. Sleep up in the common room, so.” I trailed off, getting up to my feet and saying goodbye. I started walking up to the door when someone suddenly decided to get up from their chair, making me bump into them.

“Oops, sorry- hey, do I know you?” A boy’s voice said. I looked up; Ronald Weasley. Anger washed over me. How dare he? I put on a sarcastic smile.

“Out of my way Weasley, and no, you don’t know me.” I grunted, pushing him out of my way and walking out of the Great Hall, up the Grand Staircase and into the common room. Luckily the Fat Lady was pretty drunk, so she just let me in no problem. I collapsed on the couch in front of the fire and stared at it, listening to it crackle. It’s been over a year since I’ve been here. I’ve got to say, I miss this place. It almost feels like home.

I only sat up when I saw everyone flood in from the Great Hall, all staring at me. I got up from my chair and raced up the spiral staircase, into the dormitory.  I need to speak to Draco. I suddenly remembered. Damn it! Alright… I guess I have to go back down there…

I reluctantly opened the dormitory door up, went down the spiral staircase and made my way through the crowd and out the portrait hole.

“Phew! Easy enough.” I said aloud, smiling to myself. I walked down the steps all the down to the dungeons, receiving sneer looks from all the Slytherins. As I was walking down the corridors, I saw Draco walking down with his meatloaf’s of friends. I hurried up to him, snatched his collar and pushed him into a nearby closet, closing the door behind me. I took out my wand and muttered, “Lumos,” so I could see.

“Who are you? This is kidnapping!” He said frightened. I rolled my eyes.

“Draco! Shut up!” I hissed, grabbing his face, forcing him to look at me. “It’s me Emma! Remember, Voldemort told me to help you.” I hissed again, frowning.

“I don’t need your help!” He whispered, taking my hand off his face and throwing it away. “I can do this!” He added. I snorted.

“With help you can! I came here for a reason; to help you! Now let me do it!” I whispered back angrily. What a little brat…

“Whatever! Just, don’t talk to me in public- you’re in Gryffindor…” He trailed off, walking out of the closet and shutting it behind him. I sighed in frustration and exited the closet too, whispering “Nox,” to my wand so the light will go out. I stuffed it back in my boot and walked off, back up the Grand Staircase, into the portrait hole and sat in the common room, staring at the fire. I was lost in my thoughts when someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnigan.

“Hi, we noticed that you were sitting here alone, and we were just wondering if you wanted some friends.” Seamus asked. I liked Seamus and Dean; they were my first real friends here.

“Oh uh, sure,” I said and scooting into the middle, letting them sit on either side of me. Seamus sat on my right and Dean sat on left.

“So, your name is Rosalie?” Dean asked smiling.

“Oh uh…” I trailed off. Shit! I forgot my name, again. I really need to write that shit down. “Yeah… Call me Rose though.” I added, smiling. When Dean looked into my eyes his mouth fell open. I put my hands up to my face.

“What? Do I have something on my face?” I asked, feeling around. I looked at Seamus, who just shrugged his shoulders. But when he too looked into my eyes, he had the same reaction as Dean. “What?” I snapped looking at them. They finally came to their senses when Seamus grabbed my face and put his closely to mine, looking at my eyes.

“Your eyes are… Pink!” He exclaimed, his eyes widening. Oh… Now I get it.

“Oh yeah,” I shrugged, lightly pulling my face out of his grasp. Now it was Dean’s turn to grab my face, but he didn’t go as close to me as Seamus did.

“I think you should go see Madam Promfrey about that…” He said. I chuckled. Have they not heard of contacts? But, I decided to have some fun.

“Oh yeah, it’s a really rare disease… It makes your eyes go from one colour to another every week.” I said darkly. “Last week, they were purple.” I lowered my voice into a whisper. “What's the day today?” I asked in a normal voice again.

“Wednesday,” Dean said amazed. 

I smirked. “You better watch out for my eyes then.” I said informally, and got up from my seat to walk up the stairs.

“Goodnight boys!” I called out after myself before I shut the dormitory door close.