Rantarou Amami and Kaede's wish

The next day, the teacher was taking attendance. Shuuichi's eyes were glued to Kaede's empty seat. He remembered he did this whenever she would take off, but this time, it was for good. It wasn't a temporary flu; it wasn't a temporary occasion; it wasn't a temporary absence. It was permanent.

"Akamatsu." The teacher's voice said, in his empty monotone voice. Shuuichi gulped, could he tell the teacher-

"She changed schools, sir. She doesn't attend here anymore."said a handsome and deep voice.

"Thank you Amami." The teacher scribbled it away in a small notebook. Shuuichi made a small and unnoticeable glance at the boy who spoke for him.

Rantarou Amami.

He was a childhood friend of Kaede's and they grew up in the same neighborhood. Shuuichi remembered seeing and talking to him a few times when Kaede would invite Shuuichi to walk home with her. How sometimes he would drop by to check on Kaede at the lunch table and then say a small greeting to Shuuichi. Shuuichi also envied him for growing up with such an amazing girl. He was happy to know Kaede but to imagine growing up with her. To imagine seeing her bouncy attitude almost everyday from childhood to now. Shuuichi was glad Rantarou didn't notice his glance. Of course he didn't, Shuuichi always wore his cap to make sure no one would notice his glance. He looked forward and tried to focus on his classes, but he could not.

School finally reached an end. It was a relief, Shuuichi thought it's go on forever. On his way out of the building, he felt a hand touch his shoulder. He immediately let out a yelp as he was normally uncomfortable with people touching him.

"Relax, it's just me." A familiar deep voice said.

Shuuichi reluctantly looked at the hand on his shoulder, seeing the clusters of rings Rantarou wore on his fingers. He didn't even have the courage to look up at him. "How about we walk home together, yeah?" Rantarou said to Shuuichi, smiling at him even though he knew that Shuuichi would not look at him. Rantarou could see a bit of Shuuichi's pale face under his cap to see it.. Red? Was he blushing? He was taking forever to answer him. Rantarou slid his hand away from Shuuichi's shoulder, maybe he was making him uncomfortable. "O-okay.." Rantarou heard a small voice. Shuuichi was still looking away from him, though he was looking at the floor now. Rantarou could already see all of Kaede's progress fading away. "Nice!" Rantarou said as he began to lead the way. Shuuichi was aware that Rantarou lived kind of far from him, about five blocks away, but he went anyway. He remembered these long walks that he would have with Kaede with Rantarou on their side. He was willing to take the long walk if it was to talk to Kaede, but since she was gone, he supposed Rantarou would do. He was at least a little familiar with him.

He walked beside Rantarou, keeping close to his tall stature. He looked up at Rantarou secretly through his cap. He saw the messy green hair that spilled on his face and the back of his neck. He never had a good look at it before since he was used to seeing it near to Kaede's more noticeable wavy blonde hair that bounced on her shoulders. He also noticed all the piercings that resided on his ears. Even from a side view, his green eyes looked warm. What is it to expect? Rantarou was a nice guy. Shuuichi can recall all of the times Rantarou apprehended Kokichi for harassing Kiibo, how he helped Gonta understand the subjects he did not understand, how he would lend pens and pencils and care less if he got them back; and now, he was considering Shuuichi's feelings by walking home with him.

"Hm? Do you have something to say?" Rantarou's voice cut Shuuichi's thought process. Shuuichi noticed that Rantarou probably had picked up on him observing his every detail; from his hair to his jawline. Shuuichi frantically turned his head away and lowering his cap to hide even more of his face. "Hey! Don't be upset, I didn't mean to sound rude!" Rantarou stated, trying to reassure Shuuichi, though he sounded almost as frantic. Saihara still looked away in complete embarrassment, tempted to pull his cap down even further, but it would completely obscure his view. They continued to walk in awkward silence.

"Oh hey, Saihara, isn't that your house over there?" Rantarou suddenly asked as he pointed at a basic house that had a small name plate that read the house number and 'Saihara.'

Shuuichi nodded quietly, avoiding eye contact again. "T-thank you Amami-kun." Shuuichi was even a little surprised on how soft spoken he was. He heard Rantarou let out a small chuckle. "It's no problem, I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" Rantarou said ever so casually while waving his hand, slowly walking away. Shuuichi got home and opened up his phone to see a text message from Kaede.

"I'm sorry, but I can't help worrying. I asked Amami-kun to take care of you in my place, I hope you two can get along! ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ"

Shuuichi couldn't help but to laugh a little at the small emote Kaede put at the end of her message, this was definitely from her alright. He typed back a simple response and shut his phone; he needed to get work done. Though he can't help but to think about what happened with Rantarou earlier and Kaede's message. So that explains why Rantarou asked to walk home with him, so in other words, Rantarou is probably forced. It even made the earlier event worse for him, what if Rantarou, who was already forced to deal with Shuuichi, now thinks of him as some sort of creep? He heard a small beeping of his phone again and he quickly checked it. It was another message from Kaede but it was just numbers. Was this Rantarou's phone number? He didn't even respond, he just pressed the power button and sighed. Maybe he should just do his work and sleep for the night.