Chapter Twelve

The following evening after Chelsea got home from work, she decided to make Vincent's favorite dish: pasta carbonara. Earlier during the day, she went to a bakery to buy a dozen cupcakes to celebrate the pregnancy. Upon special request, she asked the baker to fill one cupcake with a piece of paper that would reveal to her pregnancy to Vincent.

When Vincent arrived home, he could smell the aroma of fried guanciale filling the living room and kitchen.

"Babe, what are you cooking? It smells heavenly in here" Vincent yelled from the mudroom as he was putting his shoes away.

"I'm making your favorite," Chelsea yelled back over the noisy hood vent.

Vincent went to the kitchen and immediately wrapped his arms around Chelsea from behind. He lightly kissed the outside of her ear, "mhmm, don't tell me you're making Carbonara?"

Chelsea turned in his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck, "I am," she kissed him gently, "wanna help?"

"Yeah, just give me a moment. I'll be right back."

After changing out of his work clothes and washing his hands, he helped Chelsea prepare dinner. When they were finished cooking, they sat down to eat. As they were eating, Vincent asked, "I wonder what I did to deserve my favorite meal tonight."

"You didn't do anything out of the ordinary, you're just being the man I fell in love with," she smiled.

When they finished eating dinner, Chelsea dragged Vincent to their bedroom to give him the cupcake that would finally reveal the secret she had been keeping from him.

"Chels, you dragged me in here just to give me a cupcake. I could've eaten it in the dining room" He chuckled.

"I know" she grinned, "but go ahead and eat the cupcake," she urged. Vincent took 3 whole bites into the vanilla cupcake. He chewed until he felt something odd in his mouth. The more he examined the foreign object, he realized he was chewing on a piece of paper. He took the paper out of his mouth.

"Babe, how did this piece of paper end up in the cupcake? You need these to the bakery."

"Nevermind that. Just open the paper and read it," she urged. Vincent unraveled the paper and it read, You better be ready for me because I'll be here in 9 months!

It took him a millisecond before he got the meaning. Vincent looked at Chelsea in shock, "wait a minute, you're pregnant?"

"Yes!" she all but almost shouted. 

"Are you serious?" he asked incredulously.

"Yes!"

"Oh my God! Chelsea I can't believe it," he said and pulled her close, "I'm so happy words can't explain how I feel right now."

"You're going to be a father Vincent."

He kissed her softly, "I can't believe we're going to be parents," he paused, "I love you."

"I love you too." It was an emotional but joyous moment for the couple. Now they had something to look forward to. Their unborn child would serve as an inspiration to keep pushing and to become a better version of themselves. Chelsea and Vincent were over the moon with happiness.