二十九

⚠ warning: character death
i read a comment that someone got a panic attack while reading my last chapter and im so so sorry. i feel terrible for not giving a warning earlier on because i didnt want any spoilers. so do skip this chapter or read with caution in case you get triggered. i apologise for this chapter, take care loves

Changbin tried. He tried so hard. But when he just got better, his condition worsened. His health deteriorated till his body was too weak to fight viruses.

On 2 September at 11:47pm, Changbin succumbed to his illness.

Felix had been with him. They were talking about where they would like their wedding. Felix wanted a church, Changbin wanted a garden or a field. Changbin insisted on having black flowers at their wedding but Felix argued with "You need to drop that fake dark image, you softie".

Changbin said that he was fine with them owning a cat, but he would love to have a dog too. Felix commented that dogs and cats usually don't get along well and he didn't dare risk it. Felix wanted the left side of the bed, but so did Changbin.

But then Changbin stopped and went, "Honestly Felix, I don't care what the wedding is going to be like or which one of us gets to use the bathroom first when we wake up. All I care about is marrying you and being able to be with you itself is enough."

That's when Felix started tearing up and he thought to himself, "I really cannot live without this dork so Changbin, please live with me for at least 10 more years."

10 minutes later, Changbin began crying out that his chest felt like it was getting sucked into a black hole and had to be brought to the A&E. Another 10 minutes later, he was announced dead. He didn't make it from the third case of acute chest syndrome combined with weakened and damaged organs.

It was weird, hearing from the doctor that Changbin didn't make it. Felix had tried to brace himself for the worst before, imagine the scenario where Changbin left him for good. But his imagined emotions were definitely not what he was feeling at that moment.

Felix felt like he was suddenly standing alone at the edge of a steep rocky cliff, massive angry waves crashing at the jagged rocks beneath his feet, the wind howling his name painfully, enticing him to jump into the waters. But before he could make up his mind, the sea decided for him and swallowed him whole, dragging him down into the dark abyss.

Felix wanted to wail. He wanted to scream that this wasn't fair. He wanted to demand to see Changbin and determine for himself. He wanted to turn back time and remain in the past, the past where Changbin was still living.

But he was muted, staring straight unblinkingly, refusing to believe anything the doctor said until he could see it for himself.

"N-no, I want... I want to see him. I have to see him." Felix muttered incoherently, pushing past the protesting doctor and the swinging doors.

He managed to catch Changbin's pale face before two nurses covered a cloth over his entire body. His eyes skimmed to the monitor beside Changbin. A single flat line glared back at him.

It was true. Felix's knees suddenly gave way as he collapsed to the floor. Nurses rushed towards him, asking if he was alright but Felix couldn't reply.

"Why," He croaked out, his vision turning hazy. "You said you wouldn't leave me again."

For the next whole week, Felix felt like he was on a rollercoaster. The first loop he encountered was getting used to not having Changbin around. The second being denial. So sure that Changbin would miraculously regain consciousness, or suddenly hug him from behind and jokingly whisper, "You don't think you can get rid of me so easily right?"