Chapter 14

Constantin was outside stretching when he felt his mate's eyes on his back. He turned around to see her walking down with her father and brother. He gave her a smile before turning his body completely to wait for her. The heat seemed to be at bay but their need to be near each other has grown tremendously.

He noticed today after his little reminder to her in the bedroom this morning, that it took a while for them separate from each other completely. Constantin didn't mind at all spending time with Natalya. If he had a choice, he would steal her away from everyone and everything that was going around them except he couldn't do that. She was an Alpha and although their heat was in full swept, there was still that threat hindering on the back of their minds.

Her brother had come knocking on their door a few hours later and Natalya had left in a flurry. He didn't question because he trusted it was something important.

But now...

She looked grimed and upset. He could see it in her eyes and his smile slipped a little. He met her halfway and his hand came up to cradle her cheek. She leaned in instantly with her eyes closed.

"The prisoner is dead." She whispered and her eyes opened up. Alpha Maksim and Nikolai looked thoroughly frustrated.

"He used the fork given to him to stab the major vein on his neck. He bled to death. It's unbelievable how he could do it but if someone is determined enough could do it." Nikolai said.

"But why?" Natalya asked.

"Because he would rather die than give us any information. Whoever he is working for, he is loyal completely too." Alpha Maksim explained. "Or completely brain washed."

Was there anything different about him? Constantin asked. He too thought it was odd that someone could take their own life so easily.

"What do you mean?" Natalya questioned.

I would question the night guard to see if there was any odd behavior coming from the prisoner. Someone taking his own life like that doesn't just happen overnight unless he was truly indeed brainwashed. Constantin offered his own opinion.

Nikolai and Alpha Maksim seemed to like the idea and with a nod, headed back towards the prison. He turned back down to Natalya who looked extremely exhausted, another effect of the heat.

Everything will be fine. There hasn't been a threat since that incident. He reassured her before he took hold of her hand and pulled her close to him.

After a while they headed back up the fields towards the pack house again. Constantin knew that with no one to interrogate they had nothing else to help them find out who was behind those attacks. However, that didn't mean they couldn't prepare themselves for anything. It was natural to have enemies around the corners.

Natalya seemed to be deep in thoughts. Her eyes were distant as she stared off into a distance. It has been halfway through the day and she hadn't eaten lunch yet. Stopping in the foyer he turned her around to face him.

Stop worrying so much. I can feel your mind wandering away. Let's eat lunch together. He urged her.

She gave him a smile before allowing him to take her to the kitchen. It didn't take long to distract her again. He walked into the kitchen to make her something while she sat on one of the stools aligned with the kitchen island. He walked to the away from her to the refrigerator to bring out some ingredients.

Before he knew it, his hands were filled with ingredients. Struggling to not trip he carried the ingredients unsteadily towards the counter where he sat them down carefully. Natalya watched him with a few laughs as he made a few mistakes while preparing them lunch. He enjoyed the way she laughed and sought to get more out of her.