Chapter 24

Constantin awoke to Natalya's head laying down on the edge of the bed and her eyes closed shut. The pain in his chest was bearable but he still grimaced when he tried to sit up. His grunts must've woken up Natalya because she popped out of her seat to look at him. She looked exhausted. Her eyes were sunken in and the light in her eyes had dull.

Slowly, he moved to cup her cheek, running his thumb under her eyes. "Did you get any sleep?"

She nodded and the smile Constantin loved appeared, "I slept for a couple of hours. You lost consciousness out in the field. Maksim and my father carried you to the medical wing. You lost some blood from the claw marks Viktor gave you. Other than that, you sustained a few broken ribs. The doctor said you will heal in a couple of days."

She leaned in to kiss his lips and he felt like his pain had been washed away. His body relaxed and he kissed her back. The kiss wasn't urgent nor was it passionate. It was simply a kiss that expressed their love and care for each other.

A knock on the door broke them apart. Natalya tried to move back to her seat but Constantin kept a firm hold on her waist, keeping her sitting on the edge of the bed close to him. The door opened revealing Natalya's family.

"We thought we should check in on you. You look good for someone who just got into a bad fight yesterday." Maksim said as he walked Octavia.

Octavia carried Leon in her arms. She walked over and with her free arm hugged Natalya. "I am so glad everything is okay now."

Roza came in next and hugged both Constantin and Natalya, "Oh, my dears, I am so glad everything went well."

"I couldn't agree more." Nikolai said as he walked into the room.

The small room was now crammed with many big bodies and small ones. Constantin should feel a little overwhelmed but it was the first in many years that he felt free and cared for. Natalya's family was like his family. In fact, her parents reminded him very much of his.

They bustled around and talked for a little while longer before Maksim spoke up again. "It is time that we head back home, Natalya. Our stay here has been too long. It looks like you are handling everything well and with the issue of Viktor trying to kill you now gone. We have no worries."

"Going back so soon?" Natalya asked and Constantin could feel that she didn't want them to leave.

"Yes, it seems we have a few things to take care of. It has been pushed aside too long. Do you remember Aleksander?" Maksim asked.

"Octavia and your adopted son?" Natalya replied.

Octavia grinned then. "Yes, Aleksander had requested to travel outside the pack. The boy wants to learn with the Royal council. The request for transfer has been granted."

"Wow! That's amazing. It's very rare that a werewolf gets chosen at such a young age to be taught by the Royal council. What did he do to get in?" Natalya was curious. She always knew that the boy had potential the minute she laid eyes on him. There was a strong will and ambition that glinted in his eyes. 

"We submitted some documents and proof of Aleksander's excellent skills to the Royal council. They are intrigued by the young pup and wanted to learn and teach him some more." Maksim offered. "There's that and also my pack needs me. I wish I can stay but I know you can handle the things here."

He pulled her into a tight brotherly hug before ruffling her hair. "Take care of yourself, Nat."

After they family said their good byes and left Constantin and Natalya alone again. She spent her time snuggling up to Constantin. He was well enough to move but yesterday event was catching up to her. She wanted to hold him, feel that he was alive. Her ear was carefully placed over his chest so that she can hear his heart beat and feel his breathing.

Constantin could feel her emotions through the bond. She was struggling between happiness and uncertainty. Slowly, he tilted her chin to look up at him. 

"What is on your mind, Natalya?" He asked.

She gave him a weak smile. "I was just thinking about everything that has happened to us. Do you think is the end? Will we be able to go a day without troubles following after us?" She asked.

He nodded. "I believe it. Every day with you is a good day for me. I couldn't ask for anything more.

She lifted herself up to kiss him thoroughly on the lips. He was right. They should take it one day at a time. She should also stop worrying so much. It will only make things worse and she will forget what was important; that Constantin was still alive and breathing. He was still with her.

"You are amazing, Constantin. I love you." She cupped his cheeks and brought her lips back down. In the kiss she told him passionately how much he meant to her and that he was her everything. 

When they finally broke apart, they both were breathing pretty hard. Constantin gave Natalya a rueful smile. 

"If you keep kissing me like that, I am not sure I will be able to follow the doctor's order. It will be hard to keep my hands off you for the next couple of days." He said.

She giggled and snuggled back into his side. He wrapped his arms tighter around her while she traced a circle over his heart. Her eyes following the movement like a cat. 

"I love you, Natalya." He stated after they remained in comfortable silence. She moved so that she can still look up at him.

The look in his eyes was enough for her to know that he meant it. The love and raw emotions that sparkled in those beautiful eyes were enough to have her speechless--just like when they first met. 

He was godly handsome standing in the arena and now he was here with her. She couldn't thank the moon goddess enough for the gift. She was not going to be alone all her life. She now has a mate like everyone else; someone that loves her very much. 

Constantin leaned down and kissed her temple. She closed her eyes as she let the sparks relax her body. After they remained snuggled with each other for a long comfortable silence, Natalya felt sleep fall heavily on her. Just when she was about to let sleep take over. She heard Constantin say a few endearments that she couldn't make out.

Halfway through the night she woke up sweating and scared. Her eyes darted around the room only to see that they were still in the medical room. Her mate was sound asleep in her arms but she was sleeping almost completely on his chest. She winced and gently peeled her body off from his. She didn't want to hurt him. He was still in pain.

She was just about halfway off his body when his arms pulled her back into his side and tightened. Even in his dreams, he wouldn't let her go. She had dreamt that she had lost him. She saw his bloodied body and the pain and anguish she felt was so real. Giving into Constantin, she wrapped her arms tighter around him. Again, the pain and anguish she felt from the dream gave her quite a scare. She needed to feel Constantin close. It will take her a while to get over the fact that she almost lost him. 

The next morning, Constantin and Natalya was back in the room when they saw a letter on the nightstand. Natalya walked over and the minute she lifted the letter to view she knew who it was from. The smell of Misha was on the piece of paper. 

"What is it?" Constantin held onto his chest for support as he walked over to her. 

"Misha wrote us a letter." She answered him.