Dead or Alive

The moment that Echo heard the alarm, she gave a shout in pain. The alarm was strident in her ear. Her hearing was quite advanced from before she had fully transformed. Echo held her head in her hands as the alarm continued. When she looked up within the pain, Echo saw a string of Shadowhunters rush past her position to Operations.

Echo let out a sigh and lifted her head from her hands, but still cringed at the striking alarm. Echo quickly followed the Shadowhunters to the origin of the sound. In the center of the training room stood a holographic model of Jace with the words 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE' written in bright, red, block letters. Isabelle and Clary were already in the room when Echo and Alec made their appearance. The four of them glanced at Jace's picture before they gave a collective glance at each other.

Echo didn't know how she felt about the situation. She could feel the fear surrounding the Shadowhunters, but she wasn't sure if her own fear was within the mix. Echo glanced at the hologram again and contorted her face as the alarm continued in her hypersensitive hearing.

"Aldertree said he wanted to rescue Jace." Clary didn't have as much emotion in her words as Echo would have thought.

"Actually Clary," Echo let out a strained sigh with an eye roll as Aldertree spoke from behind her, "I said I wanted to find him and you gave me the clue I needed to do just that." Echo moved to the side to allow Aldertree to pass. Echo wiggled her head slightly to try to find a position in which the alarms didn't sound as loud.

From beside Echo, Alec took a step toward Clary, "What did you tell him?" Alec was concerned for his Parabati.

Clary shook her head and tried to get Alec to listen to her, probably, weak counteract, but Aldertree interrupted them.

"Is this everyone?"

Echo narrowed her eyes and looked behind her. The Shadowhunters had made their way towards Aldertree to hear his words. As Echo looked back forward the alarm ceased and she was able to relax.

Echo let out a sigh of relief, but she could still hear the twinge of the alarm in the back of her head.

"Fantastic." Echo looked up at the new head of the Institute with as much anger and annoyance as her husband and sister-in-law.

"Listen up, all Downworlders are forbidden from entering the Institute without my prior approval. For those still present, good day."

Echo let her lip curl up in a snarl, "Mr. Graymark." Aldertree turned to Luke.

Luke let out a silent breath as he looked to Echo's mother before he spoke directly to Aldertree; "I'm not leaving Jocelyn. Besides, my badge gives access to resources that you don't have. I can help you find Jace." Luke was trying to find any way to stay in the Institute.

"That's generous of you, but I'm going to have to insist."

Echo let out an angered breath at Aldertree. The more the man spoke, the angrier she got. Luke didn't want to fight with the Clave. He turned to Jocelyn, "Call me when you can."

Jocelyn gave a small nod to Luke before he departed the Shadowhunters. Aldertree had a smug smirk as he approached Simon.

"You, too. Simon. Simon, right?"

Echo could feel the nervousness coming from the vampire, "It's almost dawn. I don't have anywhere to go."

Aldertree interrupted him with faux concern, "Hey, you're a smart guy. I'm sure you'll figure something out."

Simon couldn't believe what he was hearing. Echo swallowed the sudden sadness that she felt.

"Simon, come on." Luke's tone let Simon know that he would help the teenager. Simon looked down at Clary who was at his side. Simon said a few words to her, but Echo couldn't hear them. Simon slipped away from Clary and the rest of the Shadowhunters.