Violated

Echo, now with new stitches in her arm, stood in front of another dead body. Jace and Alec looked down at the man with worry and slight anger.

"It's Hillwater." Alec had his arms crossed, "Looks like a Vampire attack."

Jace let out a breath, "We need a new plan."

"These are from the R and D Team in Alicante." Echo looked over at Inquisitor Herondale as she took a small tray from another Shadowhunter's hand. "We've always been able to track Shadowhunters through their runes. Now we can track Downworlders through GPS chips."

Echo's eyes went wide, "What are you saying? That we round up the Downworlders and involuntarily chip them?"

Herondale handed the tray back to the Shadowhunter and stepped toward Echo "Mrs. Lightwood, perhaps your personal relationships are clouding your objectivity."

Echo was becoming angry, "My personal relationships?" Echo was appalled, "Are you inquiring that my DNA is something that I can control? Need I remind you I was the one who was willing to kill Valentine myself. If you think I am going to let you tag the Downworlders, you would be wrong. That," Echo pointed to the tray of GPS chips, "is just plain wrong."

The Inquisitor kept her face straight, "No. Downworlders preying on Shadowhunters, that is what's wrong."

Echo let her lips curl up in anger, "You sound like Valentine."

The Inquisitor was quick to jump back, "Valentine wants those people dead. I'm trying to help them."

"Those people." Echo allowed herself to become hauntingly calm.

Alec gently looked over at Echo before he turned to Jace, "Jace, you can't do this."

Jace had contemplation in his mind, "Alec, look at this." Jace gestured with his eyes to the dead Shadowhunter. "Too many Shadowhunters are dying."

Echo let out a breath at Jace's answer. Alec wanted to clap back at his Parabati, but he opted out and simply walked away. Jace turned to Echo and he could see the betrayal on her expression.

"Ec, I'm sorry."

Echo's lip quivered in anger, "You're sorry. I think that's the first time you have lied to me."

Jace slowly rounded to Echo and as he did he pulled one of the GPS applicators from the tray. Echo felt her heartbeat quicken. Jace gripped onto Echo's wrist knowing that she was too weak to teleport.

Echo showed fear and anger in her expression, "Jace, think about what you are doing."

Jace held the device up towards Echo's neck, "I have."

Without another word, Jace pressed the device to Echo's skin and the tracker implanted itself into her neck with a painful pulse. Echo let out a shout as she took a shocked step back. She placed her hand up to where the chip was and looked up at Jace with betrayal.

"I thought you were my family."

The words jarred into Jace like a blade and he honestly wished he could take back his actions.

"Well, you can't." Echo could feel hot tears in the back of her eyes, "You just broke the trust between us."

"Mrs. Lightwood." Echo turned to the Inquisitor, but didn't say a word, "You need to leave."

Echo furrowed her brows, "What?"

"You are a Downworlder and there is a lockdown on the Institute. You need to leave the premises."