Valentine, What a Dick

Echo looked at the monitors next to Alec. On the quadruple screens were various vampires and Downworlders attacking Mundanes.

"Why is Valentine doing this? Is he getting sloppy?"

Alec shook his head, "I don't know, but there have been sightings for the last two hours."

Echo folded her arms, "How many dead?"

Alec shook his head, "Not more than ten right now."

Echo shook her head, "Valentine. What a dick."

Alec gave a small snort just as his phone went off. He quickly pulled it out and put it on speaker, "Jace? Are you okay?"

"No, something weird is going on, Alec."

Alec nodded, "Yeah, tell me about it. We have reports of violent Downworlders all over Manhattan."

"I think it's Valentine. I can explain later, but right now I need your help."

Alec glanced over at Echo before he spoke, "Is Clary...?"

"It's complicated."

Echo was confused; she hadn't heard anything about Clary after she had spilled her emotions to Alec. Echo leaned into the phone to speak, but Alec got to it first, "Yeah, what's that supposed to mean?"

"It means we fulfilled the blood oath, but now Valentine has her. I think he's trying to activate the Soul-Sword."

Echo's eyes went wide as Alec looked up at her. He shook his head, knowing what she wanted to say.

"I need everyone you have to be looking for her right now."
"Yeah, that's not that easy. Aldertree dispatched every Shadowhunter we have to stop the attacks."

Jace was getting anxious, "Well, undispatch them, Alec."

The line went quiet and Alec gave a sigh. Echo looked up at him, "Well, time to get our shit together."

Alec shook his head and rounded up as many Shadowhunters as he could to help the search for Clary. As soon as he got a few of them on board, he gave them the minute rundown of what he knew.

"The initial attacks were in South Brooklyn, so we're going to focus our search there and then move outward. Remember, whatever happens, our priority is to locate Clary."

The Shadowhunters gave their nod of approval and went to leave, but another voice stopped them.
"Disregard that order." Echo rolled her eyes and let out a sigh, "What the hell do you think you're doing?" Aldertree was directing his profanity at Alec.

Alec came up to him, "Stopping Valentine from destroying the Downworld."

"And yet from the look of things, it's the Downworld that's trying to destroy us."

Echo had started to really hate Aldertree's voice.

"Look, I don't have time to argue. Either help me or get out of my way."

Echo sat back on her heels and gave a smirk at Alec's attitude.

"Or you'll do what?"

Alec pulled in a breath, "Remember how I said that you were hiding something? Supplying Yin Fen to a subordinate...An ex-field medic should know better."

Aldertree was trying to keep up his superiority, but Echo could clearly feel that Aldertree was caught, "And you expect anyone to actually believe this ridiculous accusation?"