Whisper

Magnus had returned to the Institute upon Isabelle's request and found that Alec was in a state of unconsciousness. Jocelyn had filled the Warlock in on the events that had happened. Magnus was now currently using his magic to try to bring his beloved back.

"It's not working."

Magnus came out of his magic with a grunt, "I'm sorry, Isabelle." Magnus resumed his magic, "Parabati bonds are like a tether that binds two souls. Jace and Alec share emotions, instincts, strength. It's an angelic bond. My magic can only do so much."

Isabelle was at a loss, she had lost so much in so little time, "So Jace is like this, too?"

Magnus lifted his magic, "Not necessarily. It appears that when Alec called out to him, part of his soul never returned. Now he's stuck, lost somewhere between himself and his Parabati." Magnus resumed his magic.

"But if Jace brought back that missing piece of his soul..." Isabelle looked to Magnus.

"We very well may have the cure. Whatever we do, we need to do it quickly."

"Wait, before Alec went under, he said another name."

Magnus looked up, intrigued; "Who?"

"Echo."

Magnus' eyes went slightly wide, "That is not good."

Isabelle quickly looked up at Magnus as he stopped his casting, "Why?"

Magnus gave a sigh, "I had never thought that it would have happened. Usually, when one Shadowhunter marks the other with the wedded rune, it is just a bond, but very rarely it can act as a Parabati rune." Magnus gave another sigh, "Alec is connected to both Jace and Echo."

Isabelle let out a breath, "What does that mean?"

Magnus looked up at the sister, "It means, Jace's connection to Alec must be stronger than Echo's. If we had both of them here, it would be easier."

Isabelle pulled in a shaking breath, "Stay with Alec. I'll go find Jace."

Before Isabelle was out of the door, Magnus looked up at her, "Where is Echo? Is she still here?"

Isabelle let out her breath and answered with hesitation, "They moved her into the Institute Morgue next to the Infirmary."

Magnus gave Isabelle a small smile and let her leave.

Magnus looked down at Alec and lifted his magic, "Alec, I'm going to get you back." The Warlock gently kissed Alec's forehead before he left the room and went to where Isabelle had said Echo was located. Magnus entered the chilling room and he immediately felt somber. Magnus moved respectfully around the room until he found a drawer with Echo's name on it. Echo Lightwood. Magnus swallowed before he pulled the door open and rolled the tray out.

Echo's body was covered in a sheet and when Magnus removed the white from her head, he had to hold in his slight pain. He had liked Echo and he knew how much she meant to Alec. The room was vastly quiet and every movement reverberated off of the walls.

Magnus looked down at Echo and gave a slight cringe, "Forgive me." Magnus moved to pick up Echo's body into his arms and gently laid her on the metal table beside him. He made sure that Echo was positioned flat before he let out a sigh.

"I know you're in there Echo. I need...Alec need's your help."

Magnus waved his hands above her body and let his blue magic coat her. Magnus closed his eyes and concentrated on Echo's soul, he hadn't expected for it to be in her body any longer, but he knew how to track it. The Warlock let Echo's image cloud his mind as he kept his eyes open to the possibility of finding her.

Magnus let out a grunt and opened his eyes, but he didn't stop his magic, "Echo, you have to work with me. Please."

Magnus closed his eyes to concentrate again, but his concentration didn't last long. His eyes shot open and his magic stopped. Magnus looked down at Echo's relaxed face with a small smile in his eyes. Without a word, Magnus carefully placed Echo back onto the drawer and hurried back up to Alec, who was still in his trance.

Alec's eyes moved in a rapid motion and behind his eyes, he saw an equal mixture of his history with Jace as well as Echo. Both memories balanced each other out with neither one dominating each other.

There was a sound on Alec's door and Magnus heard the voice.
"Isabelle? Clary's back."

Magnus' mood quickly dropped when he heard it was Jocelyn. He quickly pulled open the door; "Oh, great. Clary's safe. We can all go home now." Magnus let his tone portray as flat. He went to shut the door in the mother's face, but she was persistent.

"Whoa. Wait, Magnus." Jocelyn stopped the door from closing.

She looked into the room at Alec, "How's Alec? Is he going to be okay?"

Magnus swallowed before he took a small step towards the woman, "Do you remember the first thing I said to you when you brought two frightened six and nine-year-old girls to my door?"

Jocelyn gave a slight nod, "You didn't want to get involved with Shadowhunter business."

"And I should have stuck to my guns." Magnus' words were quick, "But no, I let you convince me. How many years of memory wipes was it for Clary?

Jocelyn was reluctant to give the number to Magnus, "Twelve."

Magnus didn't say a word.

"Look, I owe you. Let me help with Alec."

Magnus held up his hand, "I think you've done enough."

Jocelyn shook her head, "I was only trying to find—"

"You were only trying to do what you always do." Magnus interrupted her, "Manipulate people into helping fix problems that you created. And now Alec is paying the price for it."

Magnus lifted his hands up, "Hell, Echo did pay the price. But this is something much different."

Jocelyn shook her head with her eyes red, "That's not true."

Magnus had a look of disgust written on his face, "Then prove me wrong." Magnus used his magic to shut the door in Jocelyn's face.

Magnus.

The Warlock quickly looked down at Alec as he heard his name, but Alec hadn't moved in several minutes. Magnus looked up and around the room for another being present, but it was only himself and Alec in the room.

Magnus.

The person in question looked around the room again, but with his eyes wide, "Echo?"

There was silence for a moment until he heard Alec mutter to himself again. Magnus quickly walked up to him to let him know he was there for him, but his eyes caught onto another distraction.

The wedded rune on Alec's left wrist had suddenly started to glow with a slight red tone. Magnus gripped at Alec's hand and ran his fingers over the rune. When he did, he had to take in a gasp. He pulled his fingers from Alec's skin and looked at the empty bed beside him with wide eyes. When Magnus realized what had happened, he pressed his fingers to Alec's rune again and he couldn't believe his eyes.

There, sitting on the other half of the bed, was Echo. She still had her black hair and red eyes, but her skin wasn't as dark as her physical body. The Echo that Magnus saw was slightly transparent and had a red glow about her. Magnus let out a breath, "Echo?"