Apparition

Echo gave a small and delicate smile, "Magnus." Echo's word didn't sound sharp, but there was a small echo as she spoke. She sounded relieved and on the verge of tears. Echo looked down at Alec who was next to her, "Is he okay?"

Magnus stared at the ghostly image of Echo for a moment before he finally found his voice. Magnus cleared his throat and shook his head, "He's lost. Lost between himself and Jace," Magnus' voice didn't indicate that his sentence was finished.

Echo leaned forward, "And?"

Magnus swallowed, "and you. Because you are married, his soul connected with yours. It is very rare, but it happened to the two of you."

Echo let out a breath, "Is there a way to bring him back?"

Magnus let out a breath, "If we can get Jace back then maybe when their souls connect he will return, but," Magnus paused, "If Jace's soul doesn't outweigh yours, Alec will probably never wake up."

From beneath Magnus, Alec gave a small whine before he started muttering again. Echo let her face fall; "I've kept him from the depths for as long as I am able. But he is slipping, quickly."

The Echo that Magnus was talking to, wasn't the violent Demon that everybody made her out to be. This Echo was so scared and so caring.

Magnus looked up at Echo, "Can you see him?"

Echo nodded and as she did a flicker of red mist fell from her motion, "I can. He is in his dreams. Every memory of Jace and me from the first moment he met us to the last moment he saw us. It is equal."

Magnus gave a sigh, "I was afraid of that."

Echo slowly blinked her eyes and looked down at Alec, "You need me and Jace, don't you?"

Magnus glanced down at his fingers that connected with Alec's rune, "Yes. But in your physical form."

Echo let out a shaky breath, "I've tried." Echo looked up at Magnus, "I watched as Alec tried to revive me. I was screaming and nobody could hear me." There were unshed tears in Echo's red and ghostly eyes.

"I've been following Alec since he left my side."

Magnus licked his lips in a huff, "I think I might know a way to bring you back."

Echo's features straightened, "What? How?"

Magnus let out a sigh, "It won't be easy, or maybe even possible, but—" Magnus' words were cut off when Alec took in a slight gasp. Echo quickly leaned forward and pressed a hand to his shoulder.

Magnus was about to use his magic to calm Alec down, but when he noticed that Echo's touch brought him back, the Warlock lowered his hand.

"You're connection to him is stronger than I had thought." Magnus didn't sound thrilled.

"That's not good, is it?" Echo kept her hand on Alec's shoulder.

Magnus shook his head, "No, it's not. Jace may not be able to—"

The door to Alec's room suddenly opened and Magnus had to stop his words. Magnus kept his fingers against Alec's rune to keep Echo within his vision. Echo turned to see who was at the door and found Isabelle and Clary. Echo could still feel their emotions even in death. Isabelle was angry as well as sorry, but Clary was angry and confused. Echo turned to Magnus.

"Does Clary not know?" Echo figured she wouldn't have to elaborate.

Magnus glanced over at Echo and gave the slightest shake of his head. Echo pulled in a breath. Echo's image suddenly moved from her spot on the bed to standing beside Isabelle in a flash of red. Echo placed a hand on Isabelle's shoulder and the Shadowhunter shivered just as her phone chimed.

Isabelle answered the call, "Hello?"

"Izzy, it's me."

Echo took a step back and turned to Magnus, "It's Jace."

Isabelle moved from the doorway as she continued the conversation with her brother. Echo wanted to follow them, but she knew she needed to be by Alec. Echo moved away from the door and Magnus closed it with his magic.

"You can still teleport."

Echo slowly moved back to the bed, "Yes. I can do everything I could do before, but I think I know why the arrow killed me."

Magnus was curious about the answer, "Do tell."

Echo glanced down at her transparent body before answering, "The moment before I went to the streets, two Shadowhunters went to grab me to keep me at the Institute, but I reacted."

Echo looked down at her hands, "I pushed them back, but it wasn't with strength. I threw them back in a mist of red. With energy. After, I was so afraid that Aldertree would punish me so I teleported to where Jace was. I felt so weak after that."

Magnus took in every word that Echo said, "And you felt the energy from pushing the Shadowhunters?"

Echo nodded, "It came out of me like it was natural."

Magnus let out a hum; "Energy. The way you explain it to me. It makes me wonder if you had released a hex."

Echo was confused, "Like Dark Magic?"

Magnus shook his head coming out of his thought, "There are different types of Hexes. A magical hex and an energy hex. You may have developed an energy hex. You are far more powerful than anything I have seen in quite some time."

Echo took a step towards the Warlock, "What am I, Magnus? Because I can do the same in this form as my last."

Magnus shook his head, "I don't know, Echo. I really don't. You are a Shadowhunter and a Demon, but you are also developing these abilities that only Warlocks can possess." Magnus let out a sigh, "I wish I knew more, but my head is somewhere else."

Echo nodded, "Alec. Do whatever you need. We can worry about me later. What does he need?"

Magnus shook his head, "I don't know. I can create a potion to keep him from the pain and to keep him semi-conscious, but magic can only do so much."

Echo nodded, "I can keep him away from the darkness every time he slips, but it's getting difficult." Echo suddenly realized a thought, "We can only communicate through the rune." Echo looked down at her own rune, "Is there any way we can stay in contact permanently?"

Magnus glanced down at his hold on Alec, "I can probably replicate the rune onto myself with a paste, but I'm not sure how long it would last. I haven't communicated with somebody that was—" Magnus paused his words.

Echo let the word out, "Dead? You can say it, Magnus."

Magnus sighed, "This is new, even for me, but if my knowledge is correct. I may be able to draw the rune on myself with ink similar to the burn that a Stele possesses."

Echo was confused, "You can't rune yourself?"

Magnus shook his head, "Shadowhunters are the only beings that can survive the Stele. As powerful as I am, I would die."

Echo stressed her lips, "Right. Let's not kill anybody else, okay?"

Magnus gave a slight chuckle, "Okay."

As Magnus finished his word, the door to Alec's room opened again and Isabelle slowly walked in. Magnus looked up.

"Ah, great timing. I need you to get a few things for me before we portal Alec."