New York Stroll

Echo hovered next to Sebastian as they walked down the streets of New York. The light in the sky was slowly descending, casting a long shadow over the city. After Echo had received the call from Jace, she found it difficult for herself to go back to the institute.

"Echo? Are you listening?"

Echo shot her head up to Sebastian with a plastic straw clamped in between her teeth. "Of course I am." She spoke with the worn straw between her lips.

Sebastian gave a scoff, "Looks like it."

Echo gave a sigh and pulled the fast-food cup from her lips, "Sorry. Just distracted."

Sebastian gave an understanding nod, "Ah, yes. Mundanes can be quite annoying."

Echo shook her head, "It's not that. I've gotten better at blocking the thoughts out."

Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows and looked down at Echo, "Care to share why you are so distracted?"

Echo let out a breath before biting her lips, "Jace told me to come home." Sebastian was confused and Echo could feel it, "I never considered the Institute as my home."

There was a moment of silence as they continued to walk. Although when Sebastian spoke, it was an odd question for Echo.

"Do you remember Idris?"

Echo looked up at the blond with confusion before she lightly shook her head, "Uh, not really. The memories are hazy. I was three when I was taken away. My mother often told me that what I remember were dreams and I had believed her. Why?"

Sebastian shook his head with a casual face, "Simply curious."

Echo picked up on the emotion he was emitting. Echo paused her walking and pulled at Sebastian's arm to get him to stop as well, "What aren't you telling me?"

Sebastian let confusion coat his face, "Nothing? Echo, it was a question. I'm not implying anything."

Echo lifted her eyebrow to show Sebastian that she could feel what he felt. Sebastian pulled in a breath and let it out slowly. Echo felt the nervousness start to sprout from him and she was shocked. She never thought a Shadowhunter like Sebastian could be nervous.

Echo seemed to hold her breath as Sebastian's expression shifted. The anticipation of the moment lasted what felt like years before Sebastian let out his breath. As he was about to open his mouth, Echo felt a pain along her arm. The pain felt like a white-hot iron on her skin and she pulled in a deep breath before she was pulled back. She landed flat on her back, pushing the air from her lungs. She felt her body being dragged against the asphalt as she heard the sheen of a Seraph blade. Echo's shock quickly faded and she was able to think clearly.

She pulled the knife, that was stashed in her belt, from its pocket and allowed the blade to push into her attacker. She heard a cry of pain and the hold on her arm was gone. Echo quickly rolled so that she was on her feet but when Sebastian came up behind her with his blade held high, the attacker had vanished. The alley that Echo was dragged into held no sight of any movement. With the threat gone, Echo was finally able to focus on the pain in her arm. She looked down at her exposed arm and saw a fat burn mark across her Charm rune. The burn tore through her flesh leaving the rune useless.

Echo didn't feel the pain of the burn until that moment. She let out a groan of pain and placed her left hand over the wound. She let out a breath and hunched over. Sebastian kept his Seraph blade high as he checked the remainder of the alley before he came up to Echo. He belted his blade as he pulled out his Stele. Without a word, he pulled Echo's arm from her and went to activate her Iratze. The slight glow of the rune burned for a moment before going dull. Sebastian assumed that it had worked, but when Echo gave another slight gasp of pain, he let worry cross his face.

"The rune didn't work. We should take you back to the Institute."

Echo put her hand on her wound again, "Did you see anything?"

Sebastian shook his head, "Whatever it was, is gone." He looked down at Echo's wound, "Looks like the blade was laced with demon venom."

Echo let out a breath, "Awesome." She could start to feel her head whirl.

Sebastian saw the switch of behavior in Echo and he was quick to put an arm around her shoulders, "Come on."

Sebastian pulled Echo onto the sidewalk as the sun disappeared behind the buildings.

"I—I don't think I can teleport."

Sebastian kept an even pace, "It's okay."

The two Shadowhunters quickly made their way down the streets of New York but didn't get more than three blocks before Echo's phone started to ring. With her free hand, Echo slowly reached into her back pocket and took the call.

"What?"

"Oh, thank god. It's me, Simon. Clary's been attacked."

Echo slightly paused her steps, "What?" The tone of the word drastically countered her previous tone.

"It was a Downworlder. They tried to drag her away, but I got to her first."

Echo let out a breath, "Did you call Jace?"

"N-no."

"Damn it, Simon. Take her to the Institute." Echo's slight anger made her body shift and she let out a painful squeak.

"Are you okay?"

Echo swallowed, "Take her to the Institute." Echo ended the call and put the phone back into her pocket. "Clary was attacked too."

Sebastian kept their stride quick, "What?"

Echo nodded, "The thing didn't think it could get me so it went after Clary."

Sebastian heard how strained Echo's words were, "How are you?"

Echo gave a grunt, "I'm fine." Echo's words were useless as she felt her legs shift from underneath her.

Sebastian felt Echo stumble and quickly pulled her up against his body, "You're not fine."

Echo let out an angry breath as she shook her head. "Hold on tight." Echo grit her teeth and used every last ounce of energy she had to pull the two of them through space. The moment that they landed on solid ground, both Shadowhunters were startled. Echo because she had actually teleported both of them, and Sebastian because he could feel how weak Echo was.

The teleportation took a lot of energy out of Echo and when she landed on the Institute floor, she felt a sickness in her stomach. Sebastian's grip on her was loose and she had to put her hand on the wall to keep herself from falling.

"Echo?"

Both Sebastian and Echo looked up at Alec as he walked past them. Echo looked up at her husband and let out a breath. Alec immediately noticed the blood coming from underneath Echo's hand and quickly came up to the Shadowhunters.

Alec's eyes were wide, "What happened?"

"A Downworlder attacked me." There was anger in Echo's tone.

Sebastian looked at Alec, "Her Iratze won't work."

Echo let out another breath, "I'm fine. Where's Clary?"

Alec was shocked at Echo's words. She was clearly not fine, "Echo, you were attacked. Take a minute to breathe."

"I have." Echo could hear Alec's questions, "No, I didn't see the attacker. They were gone before Sebastian came up to me. Although they clearly had a sick mind."

Alec looked up at Sebastian, "You didn't see anything?"

Sebastian shook his head, "No. Nothing of importance."

Alec gave a sigh, but nodded, "Go get stitched up, okay?"

Echo gave a slight huff but followed Alec's orders. Sebastian held onto Echo as they walked down the hall to the center of the Institute.