Mother-in-Law

Echo pulled her long, dark hair into a ponytail as she entered the Ops center. She found Isabelle and Alec hovering around a table as she entered.

"So, what's this I hear about an angel?" Echo secured her hair as the siblings turned to face her.

Alec gave a single nod, "Clary and Jace had an encounter with an angel last night. They freed him before Valentine could do any damage."

Echo narrowed her eyes, "I know I haven't been a Shadowhunter long, but last I heard, you guys haven't seen an angel in hundreds of years."

Isabelle gave a nod, "That's right, but apparently that is now up for debate."

Echo heard the small pitter patter of feet before she heard him, "Hey, you guys."

All three Lightwoods turned at the sound of Max. Alec's face suddenly lit up with a smile, "Hey, buddy. How are you doing?"

Isabelle went down to Max's level, "Max! I missed you so much! You look so handsome." Isabelle's complement went over the boy's head as he looked up to Echo. Echo pulled in a breath and looked down at him.

"Hey, Max. Do you remember me?" Echo was suddenly nervous.

Max was quiet for a moment before he spoke, "You're Echo."

Echo let a smile grace her face, "Yeah. I probably look a little different, huh?"

Max gave a small smile, "I think you look cool."

Echo's smile brightened as Max accepted her.

"Max, what are you doing here?" Isabelle's question was almost immediately answered as Maryse slowly strode around the corner.

All three of their smile's slowly faded as a sudden tension surrounded the family, "Alec, Isabelle, Echo. It's good to see all of you."

Maryse came up behind Max and put her hands on his shoulders as Isabelle spoke, "Really?"

Both Alec and Echo let out a breath but Alec said her name as a warning; which she didn't take.

"'Cause last time you were here, you turned your back on all of us. Especially Jace."

Mayrse kept her taut stature, "I was following orders. I had no choice."

Simultaneously, Alec and Isabelle rolled their eyes; Echo only let out a breath. Maryse saw the act and decided to lighten the mood, "Max has some big news." Maryse gave Max a smile, "Tell them, sweetheart."

Max looked up happily at the trio, "I passed my last trial. I'm ready for my Rune Ceremony."

Alec and Isabelle started beaming again, "Congratulations."

"So you finally perfected your roundhouse kick?" Isabelle pulled into a soft defensive pose to which Max mimicked, "Yeah, and I knocked out two different instructors."

Echo let out a smile of her own while Isabelle and Max gave a small fist bump, but the moment that Maryse spoke, it was tense.

"Sadly, your father won't be able to attend. So, Alec, as the eldest male in the family, you will be in charge of Max's ceremonial party."

Echo could feel how confused Alec was, "What do you mean he won't be here?"

Maryse pulled in a breath, "He's tied up with the Valentine task force in Idris."

Echo narrowed her eyes at her Mother-in-law. Although she couldn't hear her thoughts just yet, she could still feel her emotions and something was off to Echo.