Little Bundle

Echo leaned against the bench next to the river where the entrance to the Seelie Court was. Jace stood facing the water with his arms on the fence.

"I hate this plan."

Jace turned his head to Echo, "Would you rather be stuck in the Institute?"

Echo thought about how she and Sebastian could keep talking, "Maybe."

"Are you okay?"

Echo shot her head up to Jace, "Why?"

Jace shook his head and looked back to the water, "No reason."

Echo was about to give a retort, but both of the Shadowhunters were distracted when they heard a familiar voice. Jace turned around to confront Clary and Simon, "What is he doing here?"

"Well, hello to you. I'm joining the mission." Simon's voice was still bright.

Echo's eyebrows turned up as Jace spoke his thoughts, "No, you're not. You weren't invited."

Clary shook her head, "I already told him that."

"But then I pointed out that you can never have too much backup. You've seen my fighting skills firsthand."

Echo pushed herself off of the bench and immediately dropped down behind Simon. The Vampire didn't notice the teleportation until Echo tapped Simon on the shoulder. He whipped around with wide eyes and his hands up ready to attack whoever was behind him. Echo let out a smirk and tilted her head, "Yeah, your fighting skills are A-plus."

Jace let out a sigh, "There will be no fighting. If you hurt anyone in the Queen's realm, she has every right to hurt you. This is a sensitive political mission." Jace's harsh words lightened up, "It takes a certain charm."

Echo let out an involuntary snort.

"Well, I'll have you know, I was voted Vice President in eighth grade and you do not win an election without charm."

Echo shook her head and rolled her eyes as she felt Jace's emotion shift, "Simon this isn't middle school. This is life or death."

"Have you been to middle school?"

Echo let out a harsh breath at Simons sarcasm, but Clary gave a giggle.

Jace let out a breath, "Look, Seelies have the beauty of angels, and the viciousness of demons and those opposing qualities make them unpredictable. A vampire or a werewolf, they prefer to attack you head on, but Seelies, they want to trick you into your own self-destruction."

Echo finally let out her breath she was holding to Jace's words. She was unpredictable.

"I mean, that's a little dramatic, don't you think? I mean aren't Seelies like...woodland hippies who eat berries and ants?"

God, can I smack the happiness from him?

Jace tried to keep his grin to himself, but he found it difficult. He glanced over at Echo and the two shared a smirk.

Clary shook her head, "Jace, you're not gonna get him to change his mind. We have to go. Where's the entrance?"

Jace let out a small click of his tongue before he looked down into the canal, "There."

Jace took a step back as Clary and Simon looked down into the water, "The Seelie Court is in a creek?"

"Not in it, through it." Jace glanced at Echo with a smirk before the two of them felt each other's movements. They both leaped over the fence in one swift motion and landed easily on their feet. Echo brushed the sudden snow off of her jacket and looked up at Jace. They were quiet for only a moment before they heard Clary and Simon enter through the portal and into the realm.