Chapter 9

A/N Hey... sorry about not updating for like two months. Please don't come after me with swords. Anyway, on with the story!

After Frank explained his reason for being homeless everyone waited for someone else to continue with their reason.

One awkward minute of silence later, Reyna decided to take things into her own hands.

Reyna's Pov

Since everyone was sitting there like lumps on a log, I began speaking.

"After I was born, my mother left my sister and I in the care of my father..."

A few years ago...

I was being chased by my older sister, Hylla as we played tag in our back yard. After chasing me around for awhile, Hylla picked me up and started to tickle me, making both of us laugh. We continued to play outside until dad called us in for lunch.

"Coming dad!" I cried taking Hylla by the hand and dragging her inside.

"There's my favorite girls," dad said smiling as he placed two plates with sandwiches in front of us.

"Thanks, dad," Hylla replied picking up the sandwich.

After making his own sandwich, dad sat down at the head of the table.

Once we finished our meals, dad picked up the plates and loaded them into the dishwasher.

Turning around he asked, "So do you guys want to play a game now or go back outside?"

"Game!" my nine-year-old self exclaimed.

Hylla and dad shared a smile before dad walked over to the shelf containing board games.

As dad looked over to as us what we wanted to play, he let out a shrill cry before clutching his chest and falling to the ground.

We both screamed in terror, and Hylla ran over to our father.

"Reyna, get the phone!" Hylla cried.

Quickly grabbing the phone, I brought it to Hylla.

"Okay, now I want you to wait in the living room until I tell you to come out alright?" She told me patiently.

I nodded my head, sniffling as I ran into the other room.

After sitting on the couch, I heard Hylla dial the phone and put it on speaker.

"Nine-one-one what is your emergency?" a woman questioned from the other line.

"H-hello. My name is Hylla Ramírez-Arellano , I'm thirteen years old and home with my nine-year-old sister. I-i think m-my dad just had a h-heart attack." Hylla's voice came out shaky and caused more tears to spill down my face.

I heard the 9-1-1 dispatcher giving Hylla instructions on what to do as Hylla answered a barrage of questions, including our address, where I was, and a ton of medical stuff my young mind couldn't process.

I lost track of time, but as soon as I heard the paramedics arrive and enter the kitchen, I started to hyperventilate.

One of the paramedics came in the living room and started to try and calm me down. I couldn't hear anything he was saying over all the thoughts racing through my mind. Was my father okay? Where was Hylla?

At this point all I wanted with my sister and my mind was so clouded with fear I could barely carry out necessary bodily functions.

My breath was rapid and frantic, making it hard to breath. I didn't know what was happening anymore. I felt myself being laid down on our carpeted floor.