Chapter 19

I drove home as fast as I could and raced to the door, before quietly opening it and sneaking in. The longer I could postpone the 'talk' I would have to have with my dad the better. I tip-toed to the stairs but before I could even take the first step, a deep voice thundered behind me.

"Not so fast."

I turned around to see my father in the living room with his arms crossed. "Take a seat."

I gulped and walked quickly through the kitchen and into the living room before plopping down in a chair.

"So. Would you care to explain to me why you skipped school today?" he asked me as he paced in front slowly in front of me, not breaking eye contact. I hated when he did that. It felt like I was on the stand in court. Maybe I should just play dumb?

"Don't even think about lying to me, Lilah. Logan told me he didn't see you at all today."

I frowned. That traitor.

I sighed. "I skipped school for a friend," I replied vaguely. First rule when dealing with lawyers, don't admit to anything. And don't give them too much information or else they will just use it against you, no matter what it is.

"Is this the same 'friend' that you convinced me to bail out?" 

I bit my tongue to prevent from rolling my eyes. Dad, quit with the dramatics, I think we both know that you already know the answer to that question. I thought sarcastically.

"Yes," I said anyway, deciding to just go along with his interrogation.

"So did he convince you to skip school or was it your idea?" he asked while he continued to pace in front of me.

"It was my idea. He actually tried to talk me out of it, but I thought he needed it and I wanted him to explain what happened last night," I replied casually.

"Ah, since you brought that up, care to explain to me why I bailed out a complete stranger?"

I sighed. "His dad died in a car accident that Reece happened to be apart of, and he was kind of drunk and thought that car was his dad's car, so he-"

"Is he an alcoholic?" my dad interrupted, finally sitting down across from me like a normal person.

"No, but his Mom tends to drink when she is depressed, so yeah," I trailed off.

He nodded thoughtfully. "Continue."

"So anyway, he thought the car was his dad's car and he was out of his mind, so I guess he was flashing back to the night of the accident which is why he probably started beating the car, and-" 

"What does this boy mean to you?" my father cut off my rambling.

"He's a very special friend to me," I chose my words carefully.

"Are you two dating?" he asked suspiciously.

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. "W-what? No, of course not," I stuttered. Like that would ever happen.

He narrowed his eyes at me but nodded anyway.

"And besides," I said once I calmed myself down. "We'll pay you back."

He seemed a bit shocked by this but nodded again anyway. "Well. I guess I will let your little 'day off' slide, but if I hear about you skipping school again, then that won't be good," he said as he stood up.

"Wait, Dad? Um, I actually have a favor to ask of you."

He slowly sat back down and rose an eyebrow, gesturing me to continue.