Chapter Seventeen

Time stilled. The world around Peter blurred. His heart stopped and he couldn't breathe. Peter didn't hear the cries of the lost boys, nor their renewed vigor in fighting the pirates, forcing them into surrender. He didn't notice Mr. Smee dragging Hook's body away. He didn't notice any of it and he didn't care. The only thing he cared for was the girl lying crumpled in the cage."C...Cassandra?" Peter's voice shook. "Cassandra!" He pried the broken cage open and scooped her battered body out and held her carefully, not wanting to cause her more pain.
Cassandra's vision was hazy, but she turned towards the sound of her name. "Peter?" Her voice was weak. The pain was white hot and coursing through her system. She winced. All she wanted to do was close her eyes and make the horrible pain fade away. Peter pulled his finger away, it was covered in blood. Her blood. Panic clawed at his throat constricting it. He didn't know what to do! He didn't know how to stop the precious life force from slowly draining from his Cassandra. Unhappy thoughts and nightmares threatened to overtake him. He was slowly suffocating in despair. "Help." He choked out. "HELP! Somebody HELP! Please!" Peter cried looking frantically around. Tiger Lily ran to Peter's side and knelt down. "Let me see her." Peter was reluctant to let go of Cassandra, fearing if he did so he would lose her forever. But Tiger Lily was a healer, and she could help. He knew she could. Tiger Lily looked the poor girl over with Peter holding her, only to nearly cry. Cassandra's ribs had been shattered by the bullet and she was bleeding internally. All anyone could was give the two time to say goodbye.Tiger Lily looked up with heartbroken eyes. That was enough for Cassandra to understand. But Peter just looked on with frightened eyes. "I'm afraid I've done all I can do, Flying Eagle." Tiger Lily stood and placed a hand on Peter's shoulder, then walked away. "No...No...NO!" Peter cried and gathered Cassandra into his chest. The tears starting to trickle down his face. He was losing her. He failed. He let his nightmare come to pass. He had thought the course of history could be changed when he decided not to fight against his feelings. But now they just tore him apart. There was a raw gaping hole in his chest; he pressed Cassandra closer to him, trying to physically fill the void. The lost boys sniffled as they watched their leader slowly rock their mother back and forth. Mumbling and stroking her hair delicately. Cassandra's own face was shiny; she was heartbroken at all she was leaving behind. With a sad smile, and the last of her strength, Cassandra reached up and rested her hand Peter's thumb. " Peter?...Why are you crying?" She whispered her breathing getting shallower. Peter broke down, openly sobbing now. "Oh Cassandra! My Cassandra! I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry! I couldn't protect you. I couldn't save you like I promised." Placing his forehead to hers, their tears melding, he pleaded. "Please don't leave me Cassandra. Please don't go where I can't follow. Please! Don't leave me alone! I...I need you...I love you." Cassandra's heart broke for the boy who had become a big part of her world. And she gave him one last dazzling smile. "I...love you...too."Cassandra's smile faded as her body shuddered, and her eyes slowly closed. Peter looked down in horror. "NO! NO CASSANDRA! NO! Don't leave me! Don't go! PLEASE! CASSANDRA!" Peter yelled as if he could command her life back into her still body. The lost boys cried out for their mother, and even the pirates looked on in sympathy at the tragic scene. Peter didn't know how long he sat there holding her. He didn't care. He would spend the rest of his life holding her there on that ship. But the warmth had left her, and that was too much to bare. A soft hand touched his shoulder making him jump."Come Flying Eagle. It is time to leave. The pirates have surrendered, and we need to...to take care of Cassandra." Tiger Lilly sighed. "NO!" Peter's shout was animalistic. "I won't leave her! I won't!" Tiger Lily backed away and motioned for a few braves to gently take away Cassandra's body. Peter snarled at them, and they backed away. Peter looked down at Cassandra, and cradling her like an infant, slowly stood up before flying away. He was going to take her where she felt safest.