Chapter Eighteen

Peter entered the hideout, knowing she'd feel safe. "You're home now, Cassandra. You're safe here." he whispered softly, lovingly to the tiny corpse in his possession. Her bed was still rumpled from where she had not made it that morning.  Her pyjamas were in a ball at the foot of the bed, in the same place she had discarded them so carelessly.  Despite everything, Peter smiled to himself.  Anyone watching him would not have seen the smile even appear on his face; it was there and gone that quickly.  Peter walked over to his bed and gently laid her down there.  Seeing her limp and motionless form sprawled out on her bed sent fresh pain coursing through​ his heart. He knelt down to get better access to Cassandra. Peter carefully caressed her cheek with all the gentleness he could muster.  He didn't want Tiger Lily or the healer fairies fussing over her.  He knew in his heart that she would absolutely hate that, and tending to her in death gave him a small amount of comfort. Her skin had lost its ivory hue, replaced by a deathly pale blue colour.  Her freckles, once vibrant and clear, were now dull and muted.  Her hair seemed to have lost its shine and hung limply around her shoulders. Peter gathered up her hair in one hand and braided it quickly. Peter  looked at her dress.  Once a golden yellow colour, the dress was now almost a ruby red colour because of the blood and he removed it in one careful motion. Peter took one of her tiny hands and held it to his face. Reaching into the cupboard for the first aid supplies, he turned his attention to the wounds situated by her ribs.  Both wounds were neat in their appearance.  Blood had already congealed at the wound entry point.  The wounds ran deep, evidenced by the vast amount of blood that had oozed from them. Peter dabbed a thick wad of gauze in a bowl of anti-bacterial solution and started gently dabbing at Sky's wounds.  The pure white of the gauze instantly turned a deep, rich, shade of red as the blood soaked into it.  It took five wads of gauze to clear the wound completely of blood.  Reaching into the bottom drawer of Cassandra's bedside table, Peter took a box of Cassandra sized sterile surgical thread and needles. Tiger Lily was the only other person present in Neverland who had steadier hands than Peter, but the boy knew that Cassandra would not want anyone else tending to the wounds on her bare chest. Once her wounds were clear of blood and dead skin, Peter began the delicate process of stitching the lesions in her chest closed, which for someone his size, was a little difficult, but he managed. He worked slowly and carefully, finishing every stitch with tenderness and masterful skill.  He sutured the subcutaneous layer of Cassandra's skin first before beginning work on the outer layer.  Once the two deep lacerations had been sutured,  Peter cleaned them once again to rid the area of the new blood that had seeped through the wounds to the surface of her now pale skin.  As he gently drew the antiseptic wipe down the lacerations on her skin, it left a shiny trail of angry red skin and tiny white bubbles.  Then he manipulated her once more into a sitting position and nimbly wound a bandage around her back and ribs to dress the wounds.  Logically, Peter knew that there was really no need to do this, but he wanted to grant his little one dignity in every aspect of life and death. Next he quickly wiped her legs down with a new antiseptic wipe, getting rid of the dirt and the blood that had come from the cuts and scrapes on her legs.  Her underwear was unscathed and did not need to be changed.  Peter leaned over to Cassandra's wardrobe and quickly browsed the contents.  His eyes fell on a neatly folded pair of jeans that happened to be Cassandra's favourite pair.  He retrieved them from the shelf and hooked them over his forearm, now looking for apparel for Cassandra to wear on her top half.  He then selected the clothes she worn when he met her; her favourite white T-shirt.  Satisfied that Cassandra would like his choices, he made his way back to the double bed. He placed the clothes on the bed next to Cassandra and sat her up once more. "Here we go little one, let me just help you here." Fresh tears started to fall from his eyes as he manuvered the T-shirt onto her, before putting on her jeans, socks and sneakers. She was still so beautiful and looked so peaceful. Like she was sleeping. His Sleeping Beauty. With heavy heart, Peter leaned down and touched Cassandra's tiny forehead to his own. "This belongs to you, and always will." Ever so gently, Peter's lips touched Cassandra's. Kisses are powerful, and magical. Kisses of true, pure, love have broken curses and changed the world. This kiss was no different. He sobbed into his arms, his gift for Cassandra, a music box magically opening and started to play her song. Suddenly he felt a hand on his head, fingers tangling in his hair. At first he thought it was Tiger Lily, but then he heard a voice. Her voice. " Peter...?"

 Neverland: The Most Wonderful Adventureजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें