Chapter 21

~Alice past~

I lay in the grass, my chest rapidly rises up and down as I gasp for the air I desperately need while bead of sweat roll down the side of my face. I try catching my breath as the cool breeze blew over me . My father had always told me when you have lost against your opponent focus on you six senses.

First was smell, I inhale the scent of the fresh pine around me.

Second touch, I felt the sharp blades of grass on my fingertips.

Third sight, I focus on the two birds flying high in the sky until they were no longer in sight.

Fourth taste, I caught the salty flavor of my own sweat.

Fifth hearing, I focus on the sound of rustling branches over my heavy breathing.

Sixth sense was all of them together, it was the one that kept me fight all this time. I had a choice, I could lay here and accept my defeat or I could get back up and thank my opponent.

I plant my hands firmly on the ground, my legs are incredibility sore when I stood on them, I was still trying to catch my breath. I turn around to face my brother that was currently staring me down.

"Connor, thank--.."

"I don't want to hear it."he instantly cut me. " Why are you doing this? " What is he talking about.

"What?."

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." He snaps "Alice you train so hard but you always manage to find a way to lose."

"I didn't come to lose against you, you're older and the better fighter I just need to accept that " the next thing I know Connor grabs my arm and forcefully throws me against a tree.

"What the hell was that for! "

"You know what that was for! Stop saying shit like that Alice! "

"You don't understand ."I started to cry .

"I understand enough! I know you train hard just to beat me, that's your main goal all you want to be able to do is beat your older brother." Connor stated "But Alice what you don't know is that you are already better then me."

"Shut up! How the hell am I better than you! I'm twelve Connor, I'll never be able to catch up to you so just stop trying to make me feel better about myself. I don't want your pity!"

"You think I pity you. Alice you have something I don't, you have a fire inside you that burns so bright nobody can put it out accept you." Connor grabbed my arm and pulled me in for a hug.

"Every time you fight me Alice... You put out that fire. "

"I want to be better then you but I don't want to hurt you." I cry, this is the first time I have ever let my brother see me in such a weak state.

"That's not an excuse Alice, I've hurt you plenty of times what makes me so special."

"Your my brother."

"I don't care if I'm your brother, kick me, punch me, break every bone in my body if you have to let that fire rage inside of you because that's the strength you were born with and never let that go."

"But in everyone else's eyes I'm weaker then you."

"Never say your weak Alice, your only twelve of course your not going to beat me I'm seventeen. But you have to see from my perspective you've accomplished so much already and your only twelve." Everything Connor was saying was true I've already accomplished so much.