A Week Away

“I’m so glad you could make it.”  Craig says to me as I walk into his party.  He’s slightly buzzed and I can see the party is already underway. 

“Thanks for having me.”  I reply, giving him a quick hug.  I had always heard about the Mcmorris parties, but I’ve never ever attended one.  I’ve known Mark and Craig for years through snowboarding.

“Want a drink?  I think Torstein just brought in a new keg.  You know Torstein, right?”  Craig asks me as we walk further into the party.

“Umm I know of him, but I’ve never actually met him.”  I explain to Craig.  I know all about Torstein.  He’s crazy talented.  “I’ll introduce you two.  You’ll get along great.”

Craig takes me to the back yard where there is a row of kegs and plastic cups.  I spot Torstein instantly while he taps a new keg.

“Torstein this is y/n.  Y/n this is Torstein.  I’m gonna go greet some more people.  I’ll catch up with ya crazy kids later.”  Craig says as he grabs a cup of beer and goes back into the party. 

“Hi.”  I say to Torstein.

“I know you.”  Torstein says to me instantly.  I’m surprised he recognizes me.  “I’ve seen you compete a few times.  You’re sick.”

“Thanks.”  I say as I begin to blush.  “You’re pretty good, too.”

“I hate the off season.  I just want to board.  I’m going home in a couple days, and thankfully it’s cold enough to get back out there.”  Torstein tells me. 

“I’m so jealous.  Where I live it won’t be cold enough to snowboard for another three months.”  I say to Torstein as he hands me a drink.  We take a few steps away from the kegs to talk more.

“You should come out to Norway and stay with me.  I’ve got plenty of room and we can snowboard the entire time.”  Torstein says to me. 

“Yeah that’d be fun.”  I reply.  I’m sure he doesn’t mean it; he’s probably just being polite.

“Are you free next week?”  Torstein asks.  I start to laugh, and then I realize he’s completely serious. 

“Umm yeah I am.  You’re serious?”  I ask, just to be sure. 

“Yeah definitely.  I’ll pick ya up from the airport, then we can spend the rest of the week doing fun shit.”  Torstein tells me.  Sounds good to me.

~~~

Torstein wasn’t lying when he said we’d have a fun week.  He picked up me up from the airport and we literally haven’t stopped since then.  We snowboard everyday and party every night.  I’ve met tons of his Norwegian friends.  I’ve been having a great time.

We’ve been snowboarding since dawn, so we’re exceptionally exhausted today.  All of his other friends have gone home, so it’s just us in Torstein’s house.

“I. Can’t. Move.”  Torstein says as he lies down on the couch. 

“Are you hungry?”  I ask him from the kitchen.

“Starving.”  Torstein mumbles from the other room.  I bring him two slices of left over pizza and water.  He sits up slightly to eat.  “You’re the best.”

“I try.”  I say as Torstein quickly eats his food and goes back to lying down.  I grab a blanket and cover him up.

“I wish you were my girlfriend.”  Torstein says quietly.  I smile, but don’t respond.  I know he’s just kidding.  “We could be this perfect little snowboarding couple.  I’d go to all your competitions and you’d go to all of mine.  Every time you’d compete I’d carry this giant poster that says ‘I love y/n’ on it.”

“That does sound pretty awesome.”  I say, half joking.  I have to admit that I’ve developed a little crush on Torstein since being here.  It’s just an innocent crush, though. 

“I’m being serious. I think we’d be good together.”  Torstein tells me.  I sit down in the chair next to the couch and just look at him.  “Don’t you think so?”

“Well we would make for a cute pro snowboarding couple, so you’re right about that.”  I reply to Torstein.  I see him start to smile. 

“So is that a yes?”  Torstein asks.

“A yes?”  I retort.

“A yes for being my girlfriend.”  Torstein says. 

“Oh yeah…it’s a yes.”  I reply with a smile on my face.

“Good.  Now come over here and take a nap with me.”  Torstein says as he moves over to make room for me on the couch.  I get up and lie down next to him.  He drapes his arm around my waist and we fall asleep.