2. The Stone Castle

I stood before my sisters to bid them farewell but they had no intention to hear me out

I stood before my sisters to bid them farewell but they had no intention to hear me out. An ugly frown covered their faces, cursing me with all evil omens. My husband-to-be had his arms around me, trying to add oil to the fire.

How can I tell them that it was for their own good? They would never trust my words as I was only their half-sister. They hated me. And now they think I stole their man of dreams from them.

He was a man of a nightmare but I'd rather sacrifice my life than let my sisters marry this monster.

"How long, my sweetheart? My people are getting impatient to meet their new duchess."

Such malice in such sweet words. But I will not be impatient. I wanted to see my father one last time. All four of my sisters blocked the path to his room and I begged with my eyes to make a way.

The twins - Bridgette and Brunhilde finally gave up the battle and let me pass through after saying, "I hope you pay for your sins."

A row of candles lit around my father's bed. His skin glowed inhumanly but his last words were still an echo that rebounded in the tight walls.

"Protect your sisters, my Allura." That was the first half of his wish, "And don't even think to interfere with Lord Cayold, don't let him choose you. He can't know. No one should know your truth."

I didn't know what he meant by that. I had no secrets. A plain slate. I was an illegitimate child of General Harrington and a wretch but everyone knew that.

Though I did understand why he opposed my interference. But one of his wishes had to break - there was no choice.

His hands had turned cold... icy... frost. His eyes deep... drowned in eternal sleep. His murderer out enjoying the night. An unidentified disease had housed his body when he was working at the castle. A disease that was the result of poison.

My father worried about the living expenses of all his daughters after he grew ill, so the King ordered to give away one of his daughters to the Crowned Prince of Wrewan and in return, he will give allowances to those who remained.

I idly scratched the inked mark behind my right ear, taking in the last memories of this house and my father who loved me unconditionally.

I squeezed his stern hand and swore to the Angels and the Holy Faes that I will avenge his death and punish the guilty with my own hands. And if it's Lord Cayold, I will take my time and kill him with a slow death.

Being betrothed to him was not completely futile after all.

"The sun is returning home, dear." Cayold's voice echoed in the hallway. "We're getting late."

He stepped in the room. I rushed to block him. "Don't you dare to go near him. Don't you dare touch him."

His eyes burst like a flamethrower, red with hatred. But without a word, his fingers dug deep into the skin around my wrist and dragged me away.