36. The Onward Path

It started snowing outside as I sat at the table staring at the plate Cayold had prepared

It started snowing outside as I sat at the table staring at the plate Cayold had prepared. My stomach churned with hunger since I had woken up so I decided to eat before bed.

All of a sudden, my breaths echoed from the four walls of the room. It crashed upon me: his words, his stories, my past, all of it overlapped each other as I munched down the eggs and toast. I wanted to push all thoughts away but it crawled upon me with hands and feet. I sat back and let it drown me.

The man whom I kept blaming was something else. Both my parents lived different lives. Both suffered and died fighting. But here I was, still clueless what to do.

I had spoken some harsh words, behaved terribly with the man who endured far more than a young lad could. He suffered loss, grief, abandonment, betrayal, hopelessness all while hoping for a better future for his subjects. And I? I did nothing but put him down. He was my saviour. He was the lord of Wrewan and I did exactly what I kept complaining about in my sisters.

I hated when they misunderstood me, kept blaming me for things that were out of my control. They kept doubting me and it infuriated me. Wasn't it what I did with Cayold? Every time I promised myself to be better, I kept being worse.

However, I swore to make things right. My father sacrificed his freedom for me and his life for the kingdom. I will choose the same. By doing so, I could repay for all what he did. Though it would be nothing in comparison to what he sacrificed.

If I had to fight this war, so be it. If I had to join hands with Cayold, I would do that without a doubt. No second guessing. No running.

He had shared his intentions and plans. With that, I could trust that he would not hurt innocent. He would be just. And that is enough.

• • •

The next day when we flew back to Wrewan, I saw the lord in a different light. His determination to make things right motivated to put efforts and take actions. If the rebellion is deeper and stronger than we were expecting, I had to be ready. I had to be helpful, not just to find my father's murderer but to fulfil my father's goals and duties. To help Cayold so that the right side wins, no matter what.

Cayold landed in the huge semicircular balcony that overlooked Wrewan. After putting me down, we stood there quietly for a long time. Neither of us we ready to be caged inside the huge castle, to act indifferent. The last few days had removed the bitterness we shared as we understood each other more. Though I hadn't opened up and shared my story, I had a guess that he understood someone. He did even though he didn't know.

He broke the silence after confirming no one was behind us. "Do you trust your sisters, Allura?"

I chose not to hide, "they're all I have and I would do anything to protect them."

"But do you trust them? Or more importantly, do they trust you?"

"No."

He didn't push further. "It would be better to keep whatever I shared between us. They may not harm but they might share it further. It would only put them in trouble. They're my betrothed's sisters. To hurt me, some might use them."

I understood his concern so I agreed.

We still didn't move. Our hands held on to the snow-covered railing of the balcony as if we were stuck there. Our hands, my dark against his pale, were almost touching. He was noticing it too so I snatched it away and hide it behind my back. He remained still as if waiting for something.

I couldn't hold myself from speaking, "I will come with you to Dralyra."

I smiled to myself. I really wanted that and had that decision quite a while ago. Though I didn't know what role could I play or could I even trust myself. However, one thing was for sure, I would help Cayold in any way I could.

He turned towards me suddenly. His eyelashes covered with soft snow melted well with his hair and his towering feathery wings. His expression was quizzical. I took a step back to put some space between us. But he took a step and closed the space. I stood with my back against the railing. Cayold's hands held it, caging me between them.

I leaned back, unsure if I said something wrong.

Cayold came closer, searched my eyes for something. He always looked deeply into it as it were my eyes that gave answers. "Do you know what this means, Allura?"

I wasn't in no condition to speak so I nodded. My heart raced and Cayold was the reason. He moved even closer but this time I didn't lean away. His breath brushed my face as he kept observing me, finding for a crack or bruise in my determination. I made sure he didn't find any.

"Do you trust me?" He asked again, his face void of any emotions. But his heart hammered loudly and it vibrated against me. We had been close when we flew but here, despite standing on the concrete ground, I felt there was no foundation beneath my feet. My knees had turned weak but it was not fear. No, it was something else.

I hesitated to answer. Of course, I trusted him after all what he shared. Trusted him enough to join hands for something beyond my personal goals. But I could not admit it out loud.

He stepped back and put a few feet between us. He began to walk away. I didn't want him to misunderstand so I quickly spoke, "YES!" It came out louder than expected.

Cayold turned his head to look at me and confirm.

"I trust you and I promise to help you." That was all I could say for now.

He took two quick long steps to reach me. I didn't know how to react so I looked away but he took my hand in his.

"Are you sure?" The breeze got colder every minute. Cayold's fresh royal jacket fluttered against the wind. My own dress that he had readied that morning, danced with the wind. But our eyes met each other and didn't falter.

I answered with a nod and he placed a soft kiss on my knuckles. Blood rushed to my cheeks and it turned the tip of my ears warm. But Cayold didn't notice. He muttered, "thank you," and walked away.

While I kept standing in the balcony, looking at the dark castle inside, wondering what the future held.

We're reaching closer to end of ACT I

We're reaching closer to end of ACT I. What do you think will happen next? Let me know in comments! 💗