22. The Flaring Swordplay

Miza appeared before us, her enormous sword out

Miza appeared before us, her enormous sword out. She was the military leader of Wrewan. But there was no military here. This was a three-on-one fight. No, these humans were too cruel and would injure Miza too. She shouldn't be here, not alone.

"Go away, Miza," I called out even though I could barely speak those words out of my mouth. My vision blurred. I could feel nothing but searing pain.

"Why! They're hurting you, Allura." She moved forward but the man tightened his hold of me and showed her the dagger covered with my blood.

"I don't know what's more interesting," said the woman, "humans and Unseelie caring for each other or the little Unseelie thinking she can beat us."

Miza seemed unbothered by the words. She rotated her sword, her wings wide open. "I believe in showing rather than telling."

She smiled wide and at that moment, a chill ran down my spine. There was something malicious in her expression - she was bloodthirsty.

I saw a flash of red as it zoomed past me. All I heard were three sounds: the clang of the dagger in the tree, the crack of a bone and a swish of the sword all within a minute.

I looked back to see the man who had inserted dagger into my waist was up against the tree far behind me, his own dagger through his throat that pinned him to the bark. His companion lay on the ground and his neck was twisted. The woman was cut into half. It all happened so quickly that I couldn't fathom what happened. Three humans lives lost within a few seconds like it was nothing!

Miza stood next to me, "You're okay?"

I looked up at the monster, the crazy Unseelie who didn't hesitate once before the killing, before contemplating whether to spare them. All she knew was killing. I wonder if she would be as ruthless killing one of her own. They were all monsters.

"Allura," Miza shook me gently.

I was in no position to complain. She did that to save me. If she didn't arrive on time, it would have been me who rotted in the dirt. It would have been me, killed by my own kind.

However, it didn't seem these were Miza's first kills. How many lives she had taken? My limbs were shivering.

Miza bent a little to look into my eyes, "We need to leave. Cayold would be angry." Her voice was as gentle as a doting mother but the blood on her sword said otherwise.

I didn't tell her about my injury. Maybe she would think it was nothing. She would consider me a meek human and judge Cayold's decision too.

I clutched my waist hard which was wet now because of blood. It took everything in me to walk and follow her. Miza didn't mention her kills, didn't gloat her versatility in butchering those people. Neither she looked back once to see the pools of blood around three lifeless bodies to confirm if they were dead. I couldn't get the picture out of the head.