40. The Ransacked Kingdom

The attacks rang like an orchestra

The attacks rang like an orchestra. The blasts attacked the houses, the stalls, the roads. There were smoke and fire. The smell of blazing wood burned up my nose. The rainy day got darker. The people of Wrewan ran on the puddled street below us while their deaths chased them.

It was another set-up by Lord Cayold. It had to be so I would trust him even more. I wanted to believe that but the horrified look in his eyes made me doubt.

Cayold was stunned. His body froze behind me as he witnessed the destruction before us.

"Put me down," I said again. It broke his trance and he looked at me.

His hold on me tightened as he took a dive in the alley. My eyes shut as I thought I would dash into one or other but he skimmed graciously. He conjured a tall sword in the other hand and slashed wings left and right as we emerged through the crowd. He swirled in the wind and danced with the destroyers. It was not enough to kill them but it didn't seem like it was Cayold's intention in the first place. I remembered what Alcor has said: he was invincible in air. Aerial combat was his superpower.

One by one the monsters dropped on the ground, injured and in pain. But the enormity of number demanded at least a hundred other Cayold to defeat them.

He sped up. The breeze burned my skin and my arms naturally went around his neck for stability.

We flew over the market but I didn't see any human or fae of Wrewan on the street. They weren't in their homes either. Some of these monsters went inside and ran out of the houses empty-handed.

How long and how many can he fight?

Cayold dropped in one of the small rectangular balconies of a house and put me down. He was breathless. His wings hadn't recovered completely from his injury, I remembered. There was barely some space for him to keep his wings open. His sword vanished into air. Luckily the monsters were out of sight.

Before I could spit out my thoughts, he said, "these are neither humans nor faes. They could be Xane's men. My soldiers will be here soon. One of them will take you home."

I didn't want to return to the castle, it wasn't my home. I didn't want to be anywhere near him but my sisters were there. So I didn't deny.

"Wait until-"

A huge winged creature dropped between me and Cayold. I crawled back and hit the wall. There was no space.

The monster was a tall black-haired man, his wings were of spring green colour. Instead of turning towards Cayold, he turned towards me. "Found you! We searched the whole town for you, Allura."

How did he know me? And why was he looking for me?

He came forward to get hold of me but before he could do anything, Cayold's long sword gashed through his chest. Blood splashed on my face as he fell before me. The monster took his last breath saying, "this is just the beginning."