44. The Buffoon King

Cayold waited for the king to rectify

Cayold waited for the king to rectify. When the proud man on the throne watched him with a raised brow, Cayold bowed a little. His eyes, the colour of the Wrewan ocean, stared Darion instead of looking down.

Cayold plastered an innocent smile, "Greetings, brother! You're mistaken. I've always been interested in both and seems like you've not changed either. You're as ignorant as before."

It was Cayold versus Darion and not a soul dared to make any noise.

I tried to hide the horrified expression off my face but it was in vain. How can Cayold talk to him such a way when he knew he held no power there? He would be killed and so would I. The idea didn't entertain me a bit.

Cayold looked to the balcony above where few women sat behind an almost transparent curtain. He bowed with sincerity and said, "Hope you're doing well, sister."

"You're as rebellious as before." The king pointed towards me with his chin, "you want her dead or what? A human consort? What was father thinking? What were you thinking about when you brought her here? A human standing in my court beside you? That's intolerable."

Cayold snorted and walked forward with me beside him. Tilting his head towards me, he said, "This human is going to share your brother's bed in a few months. What's wrong with her sharing the same place?"

The thought that I would be married to the man beside me who manipulated and deceived me made my bones turn dry. Not the right time to react, I reminded myself as I fisted my other hand.

"You amuse me, little brother. I can see why you're not sitting on the throne of Druesia despite being the crown prince." That was new. Cayold was supposed to rule the whole country and I didn't know it. The king continued, "Why are you here? Earlier than you had informed?"

"Wrewan was under attack-"

Darion interrupted, "Wrewan is all sort of mess." He laughed and Cayold clenched his eyes shut as if to hide his rage. "Your faes don't listen to you. Your humans are not in your control. What are you going to do about it? Let the father handle the situation?"

Cayold went stiff and breathed heavily but only I noticed it. His face remained neutral with a smug of indifference. "I can handle it well but that is not what father wants. He's an opportunity seeker. Worry not. I am not here to ruin your festivities. In fact, I'm here to celebrate it with my lovely betrothed. It's her dream to witness it." And with that he pulled me closer, putting his hand around my shoulder.

The king shook his head and grinned again. "Make sure she doesn't pass out. It would be hard to see so much food and luxury."

I almost spat out something I should not but Cayold tightened his hold on my shoulder to stop me, sensing my anger.

"Our human brothers are here, I suppose?" Cayold ignored it as if he didn't hear that.

"Yes, yes. But they're not at the castle obviously. They know where they are not allowed." Darion said that while looking towards me, his stare made my legs freeze.

"Ah," Cayold said bowing, "then I guess I know everything I need to. I am here for them. May I take leave brother?"

"Sure!" Before he could even complete, Cayold turned and moved in the direction of where we came from.

But the king was not done. He called out, "Don't enjoy her alone. Share her with the brothers and they will give you what you want. Even I might."

I wanted to rip him apart with my bare hands and I was waiting for Cayold to stop me from saying something I should not. But he did not. In fact, he stopped walking and faced his brother again.

Cayold said through gritted teeth, "Speak with caution, brother. I'm not who I used to be. I will not tolerate ill words about her. Nor will she."

I was waiting for the king to laugh again, to joke about Cayold but he stopped when he noticed his face. A small smile played on Darion's lips.

Cayold interlaced his fingers with mine. His hold was firm and hot against my skin. His face was set in a deadly glare as walked out of there without paying attention to anyone. The court was stunned. No one dared to breathe loudly. I had many questions so I started.

"What was he-"

"Not here. Let's reach home first." Cayold muttered. I tried to remove my hands from his hold but he did not leave. He was walking too fast for me to walk comfortably in my dress but I didn't dare to speak a word.

We walked without stopping or looking back as if someone was behind us. When we entered Cayold's manor, Taran waited for us. "You're early my lord."

"Be thankful we even returned," Cayold joked without humour. "I did something which might have put your lady in danger."

I gaped at the lord. He did what?

"Don't tell me you offended Darion in his court," Taran said, standing before Cayold. I was too surprised to even think about Taran calling the king by his name.

"What do you mean?" I asked at last.

"I just wanted to tease him with a human betrothed - make him feel uncomfortable. But I was affected by the words he used for her and I couldn't stop. I'm afraid he will use her as a bait to get me."

Before I could ask more questions, Cayold ordered, "Rest for a while. Once Miza and Alcor are here, we will investigate the matter at hands."

I expected him to explain the risks and the stakes but he never did. I turned on my heels and climbed upstairs, dragging my long dress with me.

"Call my guards. Increase security and get information about Nevan. We might have to get back to Wrewan before the festival."

Cayold and Taran went out of the house and shut the door behind them, discussing and preparing for something.

But my bones had given up. Though the sun was still up in the sky, my eyes had become heavy.

When I entered my room, comfortable clothes were arranged on my bed. I removed my hairdo and my layers of dress. Wearing the loose silk pants and shirt, I got under a thin blanket.

My sisters were I don't know where. Wrewan was in mess. I had joined hands with a dishonest man and my father's murderer was still out, enjoying somewhere. The more k tried to take the situation in my hand, the faster I was losing it. And now the king of Dralyra hated me too.

I thought of my father as I went to sleep. He used to tell me stories of lost heroes and bravery. Stories of warriors who fought even when they lost their heads in the fight. I was failing him. I was nothing like the warriors and heroes he talked about.

I wondered how could I turn this around and in favour of the right.