12. The Two Redcorills

Q'ara dismissed me after that. She stood up from the stool and waddled back to the kitchen. The confidence behind her words, the way she held herself was enough to make me believe that she lived with the elite for years, centuries, even though she wasn't one.

Now that I knew with whom my father was involved, I got a direction to dig and explore.

'The lord only locks your door when it's not safe for you to come out.'

I paced in the long corridor, weighing her words, rationally thinking how much of it to trust.

Unconsciously, I ascended the stairs and found myself in familiar surroundings. The dark narrow hallway, echoing the nothingness beyond. The memories of this place had embedded in my bones. The horrifying screams from the neighbouring chambers would be the last scene I'll remember before I take my last breath.

The women who failed to get justice in the court would be here, aloof from their world, now nothing more than slaves. A voice inside my head lured me to go inside, question them. But my legs didn't move.

It was none of my concern, I tried to convince my mind. It doesn't matter. If the protector of our kingdom couldn't question the judgement, how could I?

I took two steps at a time and ran upstairs. One floor after another, I kept climbing until the airy balcony came into my view. Taking deep breaths, I tried to walk up to the guarding men and ask about my sisters.

Just then one of them noticed me and informed, "Our Lord has been waiting for you."

They moved aside to reveal Lord Cayold standing at the edge of the balcony, his milky wings outstretched. They appeared larger than I remember; invincible, unreachable. His hands were clasped behind him as he looked storeys down at the Highlands.

Words mounted up to my mouth, the rage from earlier recurred. All my thoughts and emotions jumbled together to attack Cayold in any way possible.

Just then, he turned his neck, just a little, and said in an unbelievably composed tone, "Save it for later. We don't have time."

He extended his hand, waiting for me to give in.

I stared at it. I will not yield. But for now, I joined hands with him. He was on a mission and I had a hunch that it was a pivotal matter.

And then I was in his arms again. In the arms of Wrewan's fae lord. As his large wings plunged into the wide sky, I found myself comfortable tucked against his chest. It was almost as if I got used to it.

Looking down at the Highlands, I noticed we went in the opposite direction than usual. We were going to a different kingdom. The winter sunlight glittered against our skin as we went in the direction of Southern sea.

"There's been another attack on the Cassiopeian shore. Faes died for unknown reasons, their humans missing."

Instead of listening like a cold wall, I replied this time. "Could it be Lord Marmot's son? The one you captured?"

If lord Cayold was surprised at my response, he didn't show. He rarely let his emotions brim on his skin. If I could see what he felt, what went on his mind, I would be able to trust him on some matters.

But there was no need for trust. A pawn or a wild card - that's all I was for his little games. A game that will lead me closer to my father's murderer. If anything, there was a profit for both the involved parties, there was a dangerous risk.

"Possibly," he spoke with his usual calm tone, "but there's more. Something far more dangerous."

I looked up at his radiant face, his cyan eyes attentive like a hawk out on the hunt.

"I heard some reports." he continued, "There have been such attacks all over the kingdom. At the same time. Faes dying by unknown reason, their humans missing. Marmot's fae son, Jackyle is too gormless to form a cult."

"Lord Marmot is not someone who has stronger ties with the powerful kingdoms, right?"

He nodded.

"Then the court would surely take steps against his son who is involved in such attacks."

He hummed a yes as he dipped near the vacant seashore. Not even a seagull was to be seen. He dropped his hands and I comfortably landed on my feet.

Cayold's eyes were still focused on the far horizon where the dark blue ocean met the cloudy skies. "The interesting part is why the court is turning a cold shoulder at this matter."

My eyes followed his to see a boat swaying before us. Not big enough to carry heavy goods or a number of passengers. But strong enough to go fish-hunting on a stormy day.

First I saw two pairs of feathery wings, one was black while the other was red. Then I saw the owners of that with their hair matching the colour and texture of the wings.

One was a young fae-male, black-haired, who looked up at us. "The king arrives fashionably late." He shouted.

Cayold cussed under his breath as he hurled towards them with the help of his wings. As he landed on the boat, he kicked the black-haired fae. His female partner, who had blazing red coloured hair laughed loudly.

It looked as if the three of them knew each other very well.

As I stood on the shore, the two faes explained something to Lord Cayold while pointing towards the boat floor. I knew it was related to attacks as their face turned stern, their shoulders stiff. Their talk went on for some time.

At last, the fae pointed in my direction and all of them turned towards me. They hopped in the air and dipped on the shore beside me, their curious eyes noticing everything about me.

"The body is completely drained." Cayold broke the silence, pointing towards the boat.

The two partners who stood on either side of Cayold looked at each other and a tiny smile broke on their face as if they talked in a secret language.

"Someone drained their blood?" I asked.

Shaking his head, he explained, "Not exactly. There are no wounds. The body looks dry and stiff as if someone absorbed all the energy and life out of him. It's nothing like what we have seen."

That was weird.

"The most bizarre thing is that his wings are missing. Striping off the wings is the most gruesome crime. No fae, no matter how horrendous, would even think to do this." The fae-male finally spoke. His voice was young, almost like a human teenager. But his tone was mature.

I scowled, "So you think this is a work of a human?"

He shrugged, choosing not to answer.

"There are only two ways a human can kill a fae," The fae-girl said, "Either by a poisoned steel blade or striping off our wings. Otherwise, it's impossible."

The fae-male cursed. Lord Cayold raised his brow at the fae-girl in a clear warning, "You're not supposed to say that before a human. Especially before her, Miza."