32. The Inevitable Dilemma

He glanced at me sideways and then shook his head

He glanced at me sideways and then shook his head. His eyes sparkled with hope. "You still don't trust me."

"Neither do you," I spoke too quickly.

He shook his head again. "Maybe. But I need people who trust me, who share my goals and believes in my vision. I don't intend to sit on the throne but I want someone there who would make a good ruler. The worst part is that the whole system is corrupt and replacing the leader would not be enough. While the rebels are creating chaos, I would want to reach the root of it while adding some chaos of my own - one that will shake up the throne. And for that, I need people, Allura. Individuals who would risk it all, be it humans or faes. If we want to live together, we have to fight together. Or just endure the imbalance."

"But who would want to risk their comforts for others and tread dark waters?"

Cayold tried to stand with the weight on his arms. He was struggling but his eyes still shone with the same glint a child has on receiving his favourite candy. "Very few would," he replied smugly, "But I trust I will reach them all. I've already found one." He stared at me, giving me a hand to stand.

I hesitated at first. What did he plan? But knowing him, I was sure he wouldn't reveal. I will have to find out after accepting. So I handed myself to him and stood up with his help.

Though I was much taller than my delicate sisters, I was nothing to Cayold's towering height. Still, our faces were inches apart. His tired eyes bore down mine, looking at me, finding for an answer. Though he carried me when we flew, this was different, intimate.

He was too close.

The warmth in the fireplace got dimmer and dimmer as the logs turned to dust. It was completely dark outside the door and only the hooting of birds reminded we were alone, away and in lost woods. Just the two of us. The time seemed to have stopped.

I couldn't hold his gaze and looked away. But his head tilted and his gaze met mine again.

"I need you." His words were a mere whisper. His lips barely parted but he was so close that I heard it clearly. "Your involvement would make the humans believe in me. It's not possible without them - they're my people. Our people."

Was he trying to deceive me? Should he be trusted? He was a manipulator, a cruel lord, a fae... My mind screamed 'no' but my heart nudged a little, and pulled something in me towards him. Maybe he was enchanting me with his powers to agree to him.

His hand that held mine was warm on a cold night. My eyes went to his torn wings that were plastered to his naked torso. He was unable to use powers as his wings were injured. However, one doesn't need fae powers to trick others. Few words were enough.

"I will think about it if you mean what you said." I tried to step back but he didn't let go of my hand. He wasn't forceful yet his hold was strong.