45. The Blood Enemies

When I woke up it was already dark. Muffled voices came from the other side of my door.

"You didn't even sort things with her? She is crucial to this. They ransacked Wrewan in search of her." Hearing Alcor's voice made me smile.

"She wasn't even willing to listen!" argued Cayold.

"So? It was your fault for not being honest with her. She deserves to know why you did all that."

"It doesn't matter. What matters is that she fulfils what is asked of her."

Alcor snorted and said, "That is what you've been lying to yourself? It matters to you. The earlier you clear the misunderstanding the better. Does she even know about Emeline?"

On the mention of my sister, I opened the door. The three faces turned towards me and stopped their discussion.

Miza's face lit upon seeing me. "Finally you're up. They were just talking about you. I was tired of their bickering." Both men stared at Miza in disbelief.

I pretended not to have overheard their conversation. I asked instead, "How are you both? Did you find anything about Xane?"

Miza patted the seat beside her and said, "He seems to be working for Cayold's human brothers but there is still no answer on how he acquired powers."

As I joined them, Alcor greeted me with a smile. "There's a possibility he might have somehow inherited those powers since birth and no one knew about it. That's what we thought until Cayold shared about what happened in Wrewan. None of the attackers were faes yet they all oozed powers so it confirms that something terribly wrong is going on."

Cayold who sat on the nearby chair explained to me, "Confronting my brothers won't do any good. We will have to keep an eye on them and find an evidence that connects them to these attacks."

I was in no mood to talk with Cayold. Without meeting his eye, I replied, looking towards Alcor and Miza, "What about Cayold declaring the purpose of visit being meeting up with brothers.  Wouldn't it create suspicion?"

Miza grinned and said, "the tension between them is serious!" Alcor rolled his eyes and Miza looked at me with wide eyes, "Did I say that out loud?"

Cayold ignored the comment and suggested, "Maybe we can say that I want their help with the administration of Wrewan."

Alcor nodded in agreement. Miza stood up and declared, "I'm hungry and really craving the hot food from the street stalls. Can we please go now?"

Cayold stared at Miza for a second. Something passed between them as if they're preparing for an exciting fight. In a flash, they both rushed towards the stairs and tussled to get down before the other one.

Alcor laughed at my confusion expression. "You don't know them outside their duties as the lord and military commander. They're like human teenagers."

This Cayold did surprise me but again everything he did was surprising.

As Alcor moved towards the stairs he looked back, "You're joining us, aren't you?" I didn't want to be around Cayold, didn't want to go anywhere where he was- "Oh come on. Don't make me go with them alone." He insisted and I wanted to explore the kingdom too so I gave in.

Cayold and Miza kept chattering, bickering and arguing about the best food they ever had as they walked ahead of us. Alcor walked beside me silently, adjusting to my slow pace.

How long have they known each other? Cayold wasn't close to any of the family members except his late brother in North, killed in a tragedy. Not that I cared. I wasn't curious but just confused. Which 'him' was the real him?

"Looks like things are still rough between you too." Alcor comments when the lord of Wrewan and military commander of Wrewan were prancing ahead on the street.

I looked up at him. Amidst the hustle and bustle of the lively street, his gait remained calm and steady. When I chose not to answer, he spoke, "I didn't mean to interfere but it seems you're mistaken -"

"I heard the whole conversation, Alcor," I said before he could finish. I didn't want to get tangled in any more of their politics. Who knew what knew strategy Cayold came up with? I was tired of this game. "Rafael and Cayold set me up, manipulated my judgement but staging the truth I believed. The lies about my past, my father - I will not tolerate it."

He listened without getting irritated. He folded his hands behind his back and nodded, "that's where you are wrong. Nothing was staged. They just made sure you were at right place at right time. Cayold believed that you wouldn't trust him unless you see for yourself. I advised to communicate but it's not his strong point."

I would not believe another lie. I kept walking.

"He cares about your well-being," Alcor added.

"If he did, you wouldn't have to convince me. I know what role I play in your politics. Those monsters who attacked Wrewan would know I am here and they will come after me. That is why you want me out in the street, with you so they can notice. So you can catch. I am nothing but a pawn. The lord doesn't even care about his own people -"

"You're crossing your limits, Allura." The sharp stare and surprisingly calm tone shut me up. Alcor's voice had an edge and any smart person would realise he was serious, "Think what you speak. The man you're betrothed to is still the Lord of Wrewan. Don't disrespect him especially when you don't know what he has done."

"He abandoned his own people and ran like a gutter rat."

"He has not told you anything. Nor have you asked. You might have been too deep in loathing Cayold that you didn't notice that Wrewan was evacuated."

"I am not talking about the humanlands -"

"Cayold was aware of the possible threat. Upon returning from Serpens, he came to know about this and cleared the kingdom overnight. The inhabitants are safe, Allura. He didn't tell you because you would not believe - you would think this is another attempt to decieve you."

"How did he know?"

"It was your sisters. They informed him as soon as you both returned to Wrewan."

"Informed? About what?"

"Emeline has been mingling a lot with wrong people or so it seems according to your sister Ravenna. She came up to Cayold to tell him that you are in danger and the town needs to be emptied or bad things will happen."

I shook my head and stopped walking. I shouldnt have joined them for the walk. "You're lying. This is one of your tricks."

Alcor stopped in his track and stood beside me, his calm composure still as unwaevring as calm water. "Something has been going on with her. I have seen her with suspicious people when I had patroled the empty streets in Wrewan. Your sisters know this too and they trusted Cayold with the information. Can't you?"

"Let me decide that." I said a bit too rudely.

He shrugged his shoulder as if it doesnt matter. There was an edge to his tone when he said, "Time is running. Decide soon."

• • •

This chapter is dedicated to Andy and YouKnowWho507 for your continuous support ❤️ and my lovely readers. Thank you all so much for waiting patiently.

I missed you all so much and I missed writing and sharing my story with you all. Here is another chapter, with a promise to update more.