26. The Vicious Hunt

The dagger and the dust felt heavy inside the pockets of Cayold's jacket

The dagger and the dust felt heavy inside the pockets of Cayold's jacket. My stomach churned at the thought of hiding it from them. But I did the right thing.

The Redcorills were in the sky when I walked outside, tying my hair in a tight bun. Lord Cayold waited for me. He tried to pick me up in the usual manner but he soon realised that it would be hard. The stitches would loosen or worse. Then, he bent down his knees a little so his head was at my height.

"Put your arms around my neck."

"What?" I stepped back because he was too close.

"Do what I say. I'm not going to bite." His eyes challenged me, beckoning me. "Not unless you want."

There it was- his arrogant smirk. It was a sly smile at first and then it widened as if he was laughing at an inside joke.

It would have pissed me off or made me answered back rudely. But I didn't. His magic had captured my rational senses.

I put my arms around him. The tip of his sleek hair brushing my hand. "Closer," he commanded as his hands encircled my thighs and held me tight. He held me like how one would hold a child. As he went into the air, my balanced loosened. On its own, my hands went around his shoulders in a tight embrace and my chin rested on his shoulder. My legs were loose so I tried to keep it closer to his.

It was uncomfortable in a very different manner. There was no space between us. He carried me so gently that it barely bothered my wound but it bothered my unwounded heart a lot. It seemed like it was dancing inside my ribs.

He smelled like the silk lavender-coloured cloth scented with fresh morning flowers. It comforted me despite the throbbing ache in my waist. Despite feeling weak in my bones, I felt safe. A smile played on my lips.

And it vanished in a second. What was I thinking? What kind of magic tricks was he playing on me? Was I sick? There was something wrong with me.

As he flew, all I could see were his kingly white wings and the vast sky. We flew above the trees, eastward in search of Marmot's son. We were out on a hunt.

I had missed the opportunity to end Jackyle's rebellion before but then he had escaped and killed innumerable innocent lives. It was all because of me.

Yet Cayold gave me a second chance. He would have his reasons that I was unaware of but I would not make the same mistake twice.

Cayold didn't utter a single word through the journey. This time I didn't have a chance to get a look of his face and see what façade he wore. So I tried to make a conversation.

"Is Alcor okay? That poison didn't hurt me when I touched it."

He flew rather slow. I didn't see the twins either. I received no answer at first.

"It seems like it's very similar to Orrx and can only harm faes. Even if the dust has entered your body, it wouldn't harm you."

Silence again.