24. The Restful Night

I would be naive to think that Alcor misunderstood what I asked

I would be naive to think that Alcor misunderstood what I asked. No, he knew but didn't want to explain. Instead of dwelling too much on his words, I washed off the blood from Cayold's jacket. I glanced at my stitched wound and saw that Alcor did a good job. How many tries did it take him to master the stitching? How long had he been doing that?

I came out of the restroom and laid the jacket on the chair near the wall to let it dry. The fire burned in the fireplace and four mattresses lay before it in a row; three of them already occupied. Miza slept farthest from the fire. Alcor slept between her and Cayold. An empty mattress waited for me just near the hearth.

I noticed the room in the firelight. It was some sort of barn. There were sacks and boxes stacked along with a table with dishes and mugs. There were no beds, no wardrobes or sign of kitchen. What was the purpose of this place in the middle of the forest?

I tiptoed to the place kept for me. A warm bread lay near the pillow and I snatched it and munched it down without a second thought. I didn't need any motivation to eat after such an eventful day. It was not fresh but I didn't care. The fire illuminated Cayold's face, the wound I gave him was still healing but only a peck was noticeable. A tiny smile appeared on his face as if he knew I was staring. I quickly turned the other side. I brushed off the crumbs of bread on my pants and lay down facing the fire. A few moments later, a warm blanket covered me.

"We start at the first ray of sun." It was barely a whisper but I heard it and so did Alcor who replied with a mocking cough.

There was no noise for a while. The crackling of the fire and the hooting of nocturnal birds filled the atmosphere with cozy music. I thought that everyone had slept but Cayold murmured again.

"Are you comfortable?" I replied with just a nod. His words were filled with concern. Another layer.

Cayold and Alcor were different in that manner - in terms of showing emotions. Though Alcor was way smarter, it was obvious on his face whether he was a friend or foe. Cayold, on the other hand, showed something else, hiding what he felt.

I always considered myself to be a good judge of character but Cayold left me clueless. He threatens one day, becomes a friend on the other, while most of the times he seems to not care at all.

Since the past few meetings, he had been tolerable but he was a known manipulator. It could be his agenda. He played with the emotions of others, a power of this young lord. I didn't even trust myself before him.,

Though I was tired, I couldn't sleep. The events of the day and innumerable doubts didn't allow me to rest. Turning and twisting in bedding was out of the question because it would cause to tear the stitches.

I slept straight and turned my face towards Cayold. He had his hand under his head, his eyes staring the wooden planks in the roof. His white hair was like a pool of murky water around his head.

"Is this place safe? What if the owners return at night?" I hoped he didn't hear. I was in no mood to talk with him.

He turned towards me instead. His curious eyes were now gazing at me, examining me under the hazel light.

His stare was different from the day of my father's death. That look had burned on my skin and made me feel embarrassed but now, it was like soft caressing of feathers. This one was scarier. It made me feel as if he knew my dark secrets; as if he understood my loneliness; as if he pitied me.

I looked towards the ceiling and then closed my eyes. He didn't explain much but he said, "You're safe with us." And I believed him.

I don't know how many hours had passed, maybe none at all. What woke me up was a terrible ache. Was I bleeding again? My eyes teared as I tried to clutch the wound and stop it from burning so much. I tried to sit up but my back was hard as a rock. I groaned loudly and clenched my eyes shut.

Someone shook me, someone shouted my name but I couldn't snatch my attention from the wound. It seemed as if my heart slipped there and was beating there. One pulse. Two pulses. I tried to kick my feet but someone sat near it.

Just in moments, like a miracle, the pain eased. At first, the ache had blared loudly in my ears, but gradually it turned to shouts. It still hurt, but I could bear it. I could breathe again.

My eyes opened to Cayold sitting at my feet, while Alcor and Miza stood beside.

"You will kill yourself," Alcor said, not to me, but to Cayold. He shook his head and stomped away.

But Cayold didn't answer him. His face was blank, no emotion or tension brimmed on his skin. But his eyes. They stared at me. I looked away and found Miza. She had her hands on her hips and her eyebrows were muddled. "The cut wasn't deep. It shouldn't bother this much. That was what Alcor said."

Cayold stood up, giving me his hand. I took it and got up with its help. I winced when it put pressure on my waist and back.

"She's human. She can't tolerate pain as we do."

Miza didn't listen to him. She followed back to where Alcor went. The sky outside was ready for the day, the colour of morning shimmering between the thick of trees.

The pain was there and it did hurt like a bitch but not scream-worthy pain. It was bearable. I would be able to walk without fainting. But then Alcor's words echoed my mind. Of course, this was Cayold's doing. But were there any repercussion? What did he mean by that?

I wanted to ask him but I heard loud noises outside the hut.

"Did you even check the wound before you stitched it?"

"Of course I did. I don't trust her but it doesn't mean I would let her die."

Why were they shouting instead of using their telepathic powers? As if Cayold heard that thought, he answered, "That's the downside. They love to create drama when they fight and I have to endure it." He smiled but it didn't reach his eyes.

"Those humans were rebels. They were planning to kill faes, Al."

"You told me that already."

"But the poison? Do you think they would be rebelling without poison?"

"Of course I thought of that. Do you think I wouldn't? Humans can't be poisoned with Orrx. It only affects those who have fae powers."

Cayold grabbed his coat that was drying on the chair and hand it to me. He motioned me to follow out.

"Exactly," Miza was expressing her irritation by moving hands in the air. "Do you think humans know that? Could they get hold of Orrx? They would coat the blade with any poison!"

Alcor went quiet.

Cayold went beside him and said in a commanding voice, "She has a point. We need to find the poison and give her antidote or she may lose her life."

P

P.S - Orrx is pronounced as Or-rux.

When should I publish the next chapter?? Note down your thoughts about the story so far. I'll upload the next chapter when I get 15 comments 🥳