Enemies

Steps echoed throughout the dark alleyway. The walls of buildings were as dark as the pavement below and the intent of the person coming out from the shadows. His eyes blazed with a deep anger, a fire that burned into your skin as his eyes raked over you.

"Where are you, you fucking coward?!"

Nothing echoed back save for the few rain droplets that clung to the edges of the roofs. The lone figure growled and punched the closest object to him, a large dumpster overflowing with waste. The pain in his hand was great, much like the anger flowing through his veins.

"Mother fucker!" he spat, kicking a soaked cardboard box, "y'keep saying shit but you haven't shown up!"

Silence rang through the alley, his breath the only other thing he could see that wasn't dark. Wasn't until there was shuffling and a low, psychotic chuckle. A familiar trait, the amused snicker that had his blood boiling.

"Sleepless nights! That's what you've given me! I hold my breath every time I wait for you here!"

The other voice gave a gruff grunt before stepping into the dull light of the moon, "you're going to die, then."

Evan gave a frustrated shout, his injured fist punching at the dumpster again, "I'm not going to fucking settle things through messengers like two horny teens, Jonathan. It's not enough."

Jonathan rolls his eyes and speaks up before the other male could preach to him about resolving their conflicts, "You're hurting yourself, idiot. We're going to be enemies for as long as we breathe. We're never coming to terms, Evan," Jonathan turned, he faced the wall before speaking up again, "I don't see that happening."

Evan huffed and stepped closer making Jonathan pull out a hidden hand gun, Evan faintly heard the safety being pulled off. "There's no reason to talk face to face, Vanoss."

Evan gulped and took a shaky step back as the older male took a step forward.

"I could put a bullet in your head with no problem, I know your crew isn't here and that you're unarmed."

Evan clenched his jaw, he was shaking too much.

"You're pretty stupid for thinking that this would have a good outcome."

"You're a monster," Evan spat.

Delirious gave a laugh that righteously earned him that name, "no, darling. I'm a demon unleashed and you're my prey tonight."

Evan stumbled backwards a bit from those cold words. His head hung low until he was sure that Jonathan had left. The Asian complected male rose his head and was surprised to Jonathan there, just a few feet away, blurred by the pouring rain.

There was a spine tingling chuckle coming from the hunched over figure until it turned into a crazed cackle when Evan straightened up and tossed his head back. He composed himself quickly though he couldn't wipe that wide smirk from his features. Jonathan was visibly shaken from the outburst and it amused Evan.

"All bark no bite, huh Jonnyboy?" Evan chuckled and shook his head, "doesn't look good on you, babe."

Jonathan tensed. Their past came back fresh on the front of his mind and he immediately regretted showing up. They were young and stupid, they had a long history under the sheets but it changed when they grew and changed as well. They met new people, bad people, the wrong people. Now, they were on the wrong sides of these goddamn gang wars, as enemies.

Jonathan put his gun back into its previous hiding place before he shook his head and turned around to walk away.

Anger boiled inside of Evan because after years of walking away from him figuratively, Jonathan was now physically doing the same.