Chapter 8: N&S VS G&J

"We.. Have to be nearly there!" I wheezed, "We've been running uphill for ages...! And I'm bored!"

A flash of ice whipped past my shoulder, shattering on the wall behind me.

I stumbled, disorientated, "What the-?"

Natsu skidded to a halt (causing me to accidentally bump into him) as Gray and Juvia rounded the corner ahead of us.

"Bring it on, ice pervert!" Natsu challenged. His hand ignited in flames.

"Gladly," Gray grinned, "Let's do this!"

Juvia and Gray charged forward, each hurling their own attacks at us. Water and Ice spiralled elegantly along the corridor. I dropped to the ground, but I could hear Natsu running forward, dodging the attack. I scooted sideways, out of the range of all the water and ice, and began my advance.

"Fire Dragon's Wing Attack!"

The tunnel ahead was illuminated in flames.

"Natsu! Get to the ground!" I yelled, "Star Dragon's Roar!"

A beam of sparkling, dark blue magic shot away from me, and by the time Gray and Juvia extinguished Natsu's flames, it was too late. The roar slammed into them, throwing them back into a wall. I jogged up to stand next to Natsu.

"Ice make: Freeze arrow!" Gray yelled, sending ice arrows in our direction. I tried to dodge, but the stupid ice was everywhere.

"Water Slicer!"

Now Juvia was adding her water to the chaos. Somewhere off to my left, I heard Natsu swearing at the top of his lungs. Water and Ice smashed into me.

"Star Dragon Swirling Blade!" I coughed, rolling upright and bringing my hands down in front of me. The hurricane of magic erupted around Gray and Juvia, ending their little escapade.

"Nice one, Skie! Now let's go!" Natsu yelled. We charged forward.

"Star Dragon/Fire Dragon-"

Suddenly, a wave of frozen water exploded from the centre of my previous attack. It cascaded over Natsu and I, trapping us in an air bubble.

I saw the shadowy figures of Gray and Juvia clambering to their feet shakily.

"Natsu! Try get under them and break the ice. But wait for my signal. I'll come up from the front!" I whispered. Natsu darted away, until he managed to squeeze under our opponents.

"Star Dragon's Luna Raid!" I slammed my magic covered fist into the ice above me with a grunt, and launched myself up, clearing the ice.

Immediately, Juvia sent spurts of water at me, flinging me back into the tunnel wall.

"Natsu, now!" I shouted as I hit the rocks. I heard his muffled voice as I cursed the rock wall under my breath.

"Fire Dragon Brilliant Flame!"

I looked up just in time to see the Fire Dragon Slayer bursting up through the ice behind Gray and Juvia. They turned in shock and were hit by a wave of fire, resulting in them being flung backwards. I scrambled to my feet.

We were all battered and bruised, and we all probably only had enough magical energy for one last attack.

"This is it!" I said to Natsu, who had jumped down to stand beside me. Gray glared.

"Give this one last attack everything you've got!" he told Juvia. She grabbed his hand.

"Unison Raid! Water Nebula/Ice Geyser!" The pair yelled. A huge wave of water and ice hurtled towards us.

"Dragon Slayer's Secret Art! Crimson Lotas: Exploding Flame Blade!/Dragon Slayer's Secret Art! Crushing Moon Strike!"

All four attacks collided half way between our two teams, then exploded, causing the whole mountain to shake.

It was several minutes before the explosions and rumbling stopped. Shakily, I raised my head. We were all on the floor, signs of the recent explosion evident in the chunks of rock from the walls and ceiling littering the ground.

"Hey, you guys alright?" I called out. Three groggy replies of 'yes' sounded. I gave a shaky laugh. "I have no magic left to keep fighting! Heck, I probably can't even stand!"

"Same here!" groaned Gray, with an echoing agreement from Juvia.

"I will keep fighting!" Natsu yelled, but he immediately fell over again when he tried to stand. I tossed a pebble at him.

"Give it up."

"Juvia thinks that we should just call it a draw!" Juvia suggested wearily.

"Best idea I've heard all day!" I groaned. The following silence was so intense, I half expected crickets to start chirping.

"So, um, what happened to Gajeel and Levy?" Gray finally asked.

"Mest teleported them back to camp when the mountain started shaking," answered Erza's voice. I rolled over and grabbed a jutting-out rock, using it to pull myself into a sitting position. Erza and Mest were standing in the middle of the battle scene.

"Erza!" Juvia smiled. Erza surveyed the debris, narrowing her eyes.

"It seems we have a tie. We'll have to talk to the Master about who comes out victorious here," she mumbled, more to herself than anyone else, "all of you, try and get up, I'm going to report to the Master. When I return, I expect you all to be on your feet."

Mest and Erza disappeared.

"What the hell?! We can't find the strength to stand!" Natsu yelled angrily. I sighed. I wonder how using multiple secret arts in one day would work. But if I used Rising Sun, I could get us standing again.

"Erza will kill us when she gets back," grumbled Gray, resting his head on the ground, "we can't stand."

"Erza won't kill us, not if I can help it," I hissed, "but I don't know if (1) I have the magical energy or (2) I can work the spell while sitting down."

"What spell?" Juvia asked, looking around at me. I closed my eyes, then raised my hands.

"Dragon Slayer's Secret Art... Rising Sun!" I sighed. Once more, blue light enveloped everyone.

"Wait, you did this before?" Gray asked, ignoring Juvia's startled yelp and Natsu's grunt or surprise. I nodded, frowning in concentration. The blue light faded.

"That's all the magical power I have. Hopefully it's enough for us to stand!" I reported. Thankfully, it was, although Juvia had to lean on Gray for support.

Mest returned soon after, and took us all back to the base of the mountain.

Master Makarov was off talking to Mirajane and Erza, and everyone else stopped what they were doing to stare at us.

"Hi," I said dryly to everyone. A couple people laughed and went back to whatever they were doing, but looked up again when the Master, Erza and Mirajane returned to speak.

Makarov coughed, "because the final battle turned out to be a tie, I have decided to not make any of you youngsters S-class."

"What?!" Natsu and Gray shouted at Makarov, who had arranged his face into that of a derp expression. I shrugged.

"You heard me..."

"GRAMPS! HOW IS THAT FAIR?!" Bellowed Natsu.

"Okay, as long as you don't make us fight again," I muttered. Juvia nodded in agreement. Natsu and Gray were both still yelling.

"That's enough! You're both way too immature!" Makarov hollered. Natsu and Gray shut up. Makarov glared around at everyone.

"We're all heading back to Magnolia now, so get your stuff and meet me at the beach. No complaints!" he glared pointedly at Natsu and Gray and strode away sassily.