La Bella Natalia - Chapter Four

Amara was restless and i was tired, I shushed her and rocked her

"Sleep my love I will calm her"

"No" I yawned

"Yes. Now go to sleep" he guided me to our bed and as soon as my head hit the pillow. When I awoke the next morning I found out that Juan almost died.

"Oh dear. What a shame" I sighed smiling down at my daughter. I picked her up and bounced her gently.

"What makes you say that?" Cesare asked

"There is a saying that says a eye for an eye" I look at him

"You don't think..."

"What?" I replied

"Nothing" I nodded

"When did she settle?" I asked

"A hour or two after you did" I nodded

------

A couple of days I stood watching Juan leave with Cesare and Lucrezia. He was receiving a glorious farewell to which we showed no emotion. He kissed his fingers and aimed them towards us. Before he was gone.

"Sad day to lose a brother is it not Cesare."

"Indeed. I wonder that the sun even dares to shine" we smiled. I saw Michaletto ride tiredly. Cesare saw and kissed my head before leaving.

-------------------------------------------

It was days later and word had got round that the French along with the Sforza's. I saw Cesare and His Holiness come down.

"And what does your son know about artillery?" One of the Cardinals asked

"I know enough"

"And of combat, if it comes to it?

"Again I know enough and it will not come to that." He saw me "Natalia? why are you dressed like that.

"Because I am coming with you"

"No you are not"

"You have no say. I will ride beside you to meet the King and Sforza's." he gritted his teeth and went to look at the French who were fast approaching.

"Are you sure" His Holiness questioned i saw my love nod slightly "Go with God my son."  we left

"What is the meaning of thi,s we cannot both go, what happens if we both die"

"We won't because I have faith that the King does not have the balls or the brains to outwit us. Beside I am half French"

"What?!" he asked

"My mother was French, But she was disowned by her parents. I am niece to the next in line to the French throne. And unlike the current King he is not a imbecile."

"Why did you not tell us before"

"Because I am Italian.  King Charles does not know it's me because he was made not to ask questions therefore he has no idea what become of my mother. Louis however does."

"You have claim to the French throne"

"In a way yes. Besides I would move further down with any children that were born. that and i am happy here" we mounted our horses. Orders were shouted and I was by Cesare's side.

"Open the gates! Open the gates" they did so and we rode out to meet them.

"You make a manly figure on your horse Cardinal" Catherina Sforza stated  "And what do we have here? Your whore?"

"I am no whore, witch. I am a Lady unlike yourself "

"Whatever you say. But the French cannon will soon break down your walls. And you will be impotent in the face of them"

"Like your cousin we think not" I smirked

"My walls may prove stronger than you think my lady"

"The King! Make way!" King Charles made his way to the front

"We have Italian friend, Cardinal Borgia, but our business is all French"

"And that business is?" Cesare asked

"To gain entry to the city of Rome. The easy way or the hard. You have decorated the walls of Rome with flags and pennants. To welcome us, we presume."

"Your Highness is indeed welcome to march in past Rome."

"I warn you Cardinal, I shall raze your city! Take terrible revenge. On you, your family, your whore and the papacy itself!"

"You must gain entry first"

"My cannon will gain entry. Twelve hours, I have been assured to batter down those walls."

"Perhaps my cannon will make their statement first" Cesare gave the signal for the flags and pennants to be dropped. I looked back and one by one the cannons were revealed. Cannons came forward ready.  The King looked shocked as he had words with his general.

"I must complement his Highness on his ingenuity. Chained cannon balls can take apart a regiment like knife through butter" I smirked

"Are you not well your highness?" I wondered

"We have the neopliton fever" I nodded in understanding but I already knew he had anyway

"Perhaps battle should wait then. Till his full health returns. Or Perhaps he should trace his gracious path home to fair France" we turned to leave

"Oh and do not call my ward what she is not."  as we left there had been a call of retreat. The bells rang I smiled at Cesare and we rode back into the square and people cheering. We dismounted and went inside where we found His Holiness with Lucrezia and Guilia.

"We should melt down that bell, Holy Father" Cesare stated

"why melt it down" he asked

"To make a cannon" he smashed the fake ball. "Real cannon, this time." he smile as there was a shock before Lucrezia hugged us and Giulia did as well.

"Cesare you're a genius at work." he let out a roar and  we laughed