La Bella Natalia - Chapter Sixteen

The next morning I was awakened and told to be in the Popes quarters immediately. As soon as I was dressed I was met by Lucrezia and we both walked together. When we arrived we did not expect such a sight. There on the table was a dead body.

"Is that..." I looked at Giulia who nodded. Oh my that was Juan. He was actually dead, never to return. Lucrezia hugged her father and walked over to Giulia and Vanozza. From that moment I said nothing and we all stood in silence.

"Holy Father, I bring you the signed confession of the heretic Savonarola of Florence." I heard Cesare's happy voice enter. Well that was until he saw all of us.

"What Happened?" he asked it took a moment for his father to reply

"He was... Dragged from the Tiber. Dogs, cats, stillborn offspring of prostitutes." his voice broke "And our son" he looked away. Cesare walked closer.

"Leave us Cardinals" they did as they were asked. the Holy Father hugged his son who seemed a little surprised his returned it. He looked over at me and I held his glance. His father pulled away

"Who would do such a thing? Who would dare?" he questioned and i bit my lip not willing to say anything. It was no secret that Juan had enemies. Some were closer than his Holiness would like to think. Even i myself had wished he was dead. And it looks like many, me included had gotten their wish.

"Who had cause to wish him harm?"

"Any one of the many he harmed" Lucrezia said hollowly

"What?" Holy Father asked and Cesare came over to me putting a arm around my waist and I placed my hands on his chest.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing, Father." she replied

"What do you say?" I knew this was not going to end well at all. He would not like what he was about to hear."

"You asked who would do such a thing. The answer is many people, Father. Many people." He looked at her shocked and confused at what she had said.

"We don't understand." None of us could look him in the eye after that statement.

"Here lies your brother, murdered in cold blood, and you speak as if..." he trailed of "'Many people' 'Many people' you say? Do you count yourself among that number?"

"why.."

"Father" Cesare tried to intervene

Let her speak" he growled

"What would you have me say? You know what he did to me! What he took from me! You all do! And you stood by for the honour of the family. I wished him dead 1,000 times. And now you want me to mourn him? I'm sorry father I cannot" she took Cesare's other side and i watched his Holiness moth drop open now taken away by his daughters words.

"And you? He was your brother, you show no tears?" i looked up at my Cesare "Are you stone?"

"I wept them all out for him long ago. Over and over, I watched him fail, and i wept. You should know you were there. And still, you granted him your every favour." Cesare tightened his grip on me as the Holy Father looked lost for ward and made his way to his son looking down and the covered body.

"Take yourselves both away from our sight!" he snarled Lucrezia and Cesare turned and i was guided away with them. We stayed with Lucrezia for a while before we retired to our own chambers.

"Should i be sent to hell because i want to rejoice?"  I asked looking over the city.

"why would you rejoice?"

"I don't know but i feel the need to. He never did anything to me directly he was just so arrogant and egotistical. But yet i was scared of him. For my safety, our daughters, Lucrezia, Giovanni. So many others and...And." i shook my head "I feel nothing, just nothing, he wasn't my brother or lover or anything to me. I was more angry at him for others rather than myself." he rubbed my arms

"He can no longer hurt the people that i love the most. I know i should be sad because he was your brother and all . Yet i just feel relieved."

"I know of what you feel..." he sighed "I know what you feel" I turned around at wrapped my arms around his neck.

"For what it is worth, i am sorry that you lost your brother. Whether it was a long time or go or just now." he buried his face in my neck and hugged me we stayed like that for a bit before eating in silence and retiring. All that time saying nothing to each other.