La Bella Natalia - Chapter Five

I hummed a soft tune and bounced little Amara, I sat with Lucrezia and Giovanni.

"She is very fussy today is she not?" Lucrezia commented

"That she is. Maybe she wishes to visit her father, hummm." I looked at her and she wriggled.

"It is not surprising seen as he has been celebrating Rome's victory. She has barely seen him. Amara is her father's daughter." I stood up and placed Amara on my hips

"Let us find papa shall we?" We went in search of Cesare and he was know where to be found.

"Looking for someone my dear?" I turned to come face to face with the Holy father.

"We are just looking for Cesare, Holy Father"

"He left quite abruptly only moments ago." I sighed

"Thank you" I curtsied and went back to my chambers she finally settled and I watched out on the balcony till Cesare came back.

"My father informed me that you were searching for me" I looked back at him.

"Yes i thought Amara wanted to see you but you were nowhere to be found."

"I had urgent business to attend to." i walked over.

"Am I allowed to know such business?" he looked back at where his daughter slept.

"walk with me" I was confused and left Amara in the care of her wet nurse. We walked through the gardens.

"Something terrible has come to my attention, my love."

"What is that?"

"The convent of St Cecelia in which you and Lucrezia spent your time in was attacked by a garrison of French soldiers" I gasped

"Sister Martha?" I asked and he shook his head. She meant something to the both of us and I could see the hidden anger behind his eyes.

"There were no survivors"

"Do you know which garrison?"

"I am aware of the culprits?" he replied

"And I hope the Lord sees fit to punish them for their sins."

"I believe he does" I knew what was formulating in that head of his and I would not stop his thoughts for I saw red, how could anyone do that to such kind people.

"Then I hope justice is swift"

--------

I watched as Cesare came back from wherever and change into his Cardinal robes. Amara started crying and i lifted up.

"There, there" I cooed shushing her

"Maybe she wants her father?" Cesare fixed his robes.

"Yes but her father is needed elsewhere."

"Ah but I am sure my father will not mind, he has after all done the same with her and Giovanni" he took her off me and left. I began to do some embroidering and I was nearly finished when they returned.

"All better" I smiled softly at them

"She is her father's daughter" Cesare laid her down and came to stand behind me  and kissed my head and I came to a stop and sighed

"What troubles you my love?"

"I miss you Cesare, we both do." he came round to face me and lifted me up.

"Have I been neglecting you, my love?"

"A little. But you are a Cardinal and the son of the Pope. i cannot be selfish and ask to have you all to myself. And i am lucky than most, poor Lucrezia has lost her love." I played with his clothing

"I promise you my love that once God's justice is done then I will ravish you and our daughter in my attention"

"You need not"

"I need do, you are tied to me in almost every way. I will not make you feel abandoned." I smiled up at him, in that moment nothing but our little world mattered. It did not matter that he was a cardinal and i was his ward. It did not matter that there was a chance of battle with the French and the Milanese. Nor did it matter that outside these walls we could not seen to be intimate with each other because really we did not need to. He loved me like there was no other. He adored his daughter and would have us in a palace away from the Vatican and shower us with adoration and attention if he could. All because of love.

"Cesare Borgia, I love you and our daughter. I know that sometimes your duty's have to come first but if you had it your way you would never leave us. I am safe in the knowledge of that. Even though sometimes i wish you were around more to watch our daughter blossom" I kissed him and he kissed me back.

"Your Grace." there was a knock on the door and I pulled away sighing a little.

"what is it"

"The Holy Father wishes to speak with you" i smile softly and he heaves a sigh

-----

A few days later Guilia Farnese asked Lucrezia and I to accompany her. The three of us walked into what should be a public baths but it was dry and in its place were orphans dirty and miserable.

"These children need a orphanage" Lucrezia voiced

"They do indeed but the nunneries that used to care for them are starved of funds. And the orphanage on Piazza Navona is now a Cardinal's Palace. Here once stood a statue of the goddess Sulis Minerva. And here flowed crystal spring water from the Alban hills" Giulia replied

"Statues are easily restored. Water is not" I stated looking at my companions

"So i would use our wit to outwit those who divert funds and water from poorhouses to palaces." I could see what she was thinking

"Cardinals in the curia" I said

"You are both clever" she took our arms as we walked back

"It would be fun to outwit a brace of cardinals"

"It would be more than fun it would save lives. And there is one more brain I would engage in our cause. Your mothers" she looked at Lucrezia who laughed

"My mother but..." she trailed off

"Lucrezia, la bella Farnese is right. You must admit that with her four minds would be better than three."

"And your mother and I are far beyond such enmities" she walked ahead of us.