La Bella Natalia - Chapter Seventeen

I was called by Cesare the next day and I walked into the back of the church.

"Natalia, come" I approached him.

"You called for me."

"Yes, I wish you to be the first to know that as of moments ago, my father stripped released me from my vows"

"What? Why?"

"That is between me and him." I looked down at his discarded robes and cross.

"I am completely lost." I breathed and he turned my head to make me look at him.

"I have waited a long time to ask you this, my love."

"what?"

"Natalia Orsini." he sighed with a smile on his face "Would you...finally..." he chuckled " do me the honour of becoming my wife" I stared at him shocked

"What?"

"I am asking you to marry me, my love"

"Do you truly mean it?"

"Yes, of course I do" i broke out into a smile and kissed him

"I think you might need to say something, Natalia" he breathed holding my hands to his chest.

"Yes, Cesare Borgia. I would happily be married to you" he lifted me up and spun me around. I smiled down at him and he kissed me again but the case of present time came back to me and I pulled away.

"Cesare." I sighed

"What is wrong my love."

"Even though I would happily marry you in a heartbeat we must wait. There is your sisters engagement and your brother just died. No matter how much we hated him. So I ask that for now our promised nuptials remain with us. Just until everything calms down." He sighed

"Is that what you wish?" I nod

"It would be too much for everyone."

"But what if we were just to inform the ones we hold close."

"Cesare."

"Natalia, this is happy new. No matter what time it is, i will wait a little longer to marry you but please do not ask me to keep it from my family."

"Very well, just family. But if you tell your family i must tell mine. Maybe after Louis is King though" I rested my his on his chest. He embraced me and kissed my head.

"Let us leave" We met with the committee of ceremonies then, we made our way to find Lucrezia and Vanozza. We did and they were working on what i presumed to be wedding plans.

"We have met with the committee of ceremonies, the funeral is being arranged." he sat down and I poured him a glass of wine and handed it to him.

"Your father won't hear of it, Cesare. He won't even consider it." Vanozza replied

"He doesn't need to consider it." Cesere replied  "There will be a requiem mass. The city bells will be muffles, there will be 16 black horses drawing a carriage dressed in black silk to bear the coffin. That is the funeral." he paused "But first your betrothal."

"We are cancelling the celebration. Surely, it cannot go ahead."

"Surely it can't go ahead. It is for me to decide, and the decision was made."

"Cesare, you must listen to me. It is not possible."

"No, it must stand." he stood up and took my hand  "Life does not hold its breath for one man's grief" he lead me away. So much for telling the family.

"Yes and wounds take time to heal!"

"Not a word more! Please! It is decided!" he let go of my hand and walked out. Vanozza looked at me.

"Please talk to him."

"I would waste my breath Vanozza. He is determined for things to carry on as normal. He asked his father to release him of his vows, which he did. And before we met with the committee he asked for my hand in marriage. He will not let the death of Juan stop anything." I explained

"He...asked you to marry him" i sighed and nodded they both stood up out of their chairs and hugged me.

"Congratulations"

"Thank you although his timing was terrible." they pulled away "You can say what you like about Juan but he is still dead. Things are changing and he wishes to carry on as if nothing happened."

"That is Cesare, Once he has put his mind to something he will see it through. As we have just witnessed." I looked back to the doorway.

"I must follow him, make sure he doesn't do anything irrationally. Doubtful i know but there is a chance" they nodded and i made my exit.

----

It was the celebration of the betrothal of Alfonso and Lucrezia. Cesare as her older brother took her hand and led her onto the floor showing her to everyone. He then held his other hand out for Alfonso to take. He walked over and he did. Cesare then united the two hands for a dance. He made his way over to me and held out his hand. I took it and he led me onto the floor and we partook in the dancing as well.

More people joined us and Cesare smiled happily at me. I couldn't help but return it. We swapped partners and I danced with Alfonso.