La Bella Natalia - Chapter Twelve

I visited Benito once more and noticed more injuries which I cleaned. The next morning  I walked into Cesare's offices. I watched the man that was guarding Benito left past me. He looked at me and bowed his head which i returned.

"Cesare." he looked up and smiled at us.

"Natalia to what do I owe your presence."

"Well I hear that it will not be long before you set off back to Florence. I thought you might like to spend the day alone with your daughter while I attend some matters" He stood

"Why of course I cherish precious time." He smiled as I handed Amara over to him.

"I will see you both soon." I kissed her head and left. When I returned Cesare was back in our chambers.

"How was she?" I asked removing my cloak

"An angel, like her mother." i smiled

"And you did not have to leave her?"

"No she came with me where I was needed"

"Not down to where Caterina Sforza son is?"

"No, not there." I went to look over her sleeping form.

"Not long till I would ravish you in pleasure and have you once more" I heard him whisper in my ear.

"Something tells me that once lent is over I will not be seen for days, daughter or no daughter." he chuckled

"I have been missing and when I have not been here I have denied myself and yours of pleasure. Believe me I have 40 days to make up for." I turned to face him.

"Cesare Borgia you have made me a unholy woman. You have made me fall in love with you, refused marriage to another, taken my innocence and given me a bastard child. You sir are the devil himself." I whispered walking around him

"God has given us challenges and we deserve to choose our own reward. You and Amara are mine, and no one else's."

"So possessive"

"I am a Borgia after all" I chuckled and shook my head.

"Natalia, would you join me for a hour. I am to watch Benito tell my father the truth. I would hope that you would escort him"

"If you wish it" I followed him and waited outside his cell Michaletto killed the guard and waked him up they talked and brought him out.

"Be calm Benito, be calm. Follow me" he nodded and I lead him to a secret entrance of the church and pointed where he should go. he made a noise which the Holy Father heard.

"Who are you?"

"Holy Father i must speak with you." he breathed I could see he was weak. His Holiness came out to look at him and Benito tried to speak before collapsing into his arms.

"What...what have they done?" he asked being gentle with the broken boy "who are you?"

"I am Benito Sforza the son of Caterina Sofza, and I am here to tell you..." he panted  "I'm here to tell you what truly happened at the siege of Forli" he collapsed again. I heard him talk of the truths that happened and how he came to be here. He even talked of me doing what I could to heal him.

---

The next morning I was summoned to speak with the Holy Father in his quarters. The doors opened and i walked in.

"Holy Father" I curtsied

"Lady Natalia, come sit" I did so

"You wished to see me"

"We did. Last night we learned many truths. One that you helped the son of Caterina Sforza."

"I did Holy Father."

"For that we thank you, he may not have survived to tell his tale. Which is why we have a task for you." I stayed silent.

"We are charging  you to return Benito Sforza to the one who gave him life. His Mother."

"You would trust me with such a task?"

"We would. We would also see that you would have guard with you as well. For your safe keeping because our son would start a war otherwise." i chuckled

"I doubt he would"

"We think he would. But for now we ask that you eat with us before your journey" I graciously accepted and he talked to me like never before. He learned almost everything his son and daughter had learned about me . He knew of my heritage and that my uncle Louis would soon be the King of France.

------

I came out with Benito to my readied horse

"Natalia, what is the meaning of this?" Cesare questioned

"The Holy Father has charged me with the safe return of his informer. I am to travel under guard to Forli to return Benito" I was helped onto my horse.

"What do you have"

"A branch from a olive tree" Benito replied

"Peace"

"A offering" I stated and held my hand out to him Benito took it and swung himself on the back of my horse.

I clicked my tongue and followed by two guard I rode off. We travelled a day and a night stopping a few times before we reached Forli. I stopped and looked behind me 

"This is as far as I will go."

"It is close enough" he dropped down and looked up to me.

"I wish to thank you Natalia Orsini, you have shown kindness."

"And all except Juan has shown you mercy. May I ask something of you."

"Yes."

"Remember this. Remember the person who harmed you and realised it was only him. Remember not to judge others as your family does because you now know that things are different."

"I will" I nodded

"Now Go."

"I will not forget your kindness, Lady Natalia Orsini"