La Bella Natalia - Chapter Seven

We sat in church while money was being collected.

"It is ingenious when you think of it" Lucrezia commented to the three of us.

"St Peters'?" I asked

"The Church. Like and Enormous bank machine. The faithful pay to maintain its magnificent splendour..." I dropped some coins and passed it on.

"This theatre of redemption the more they display the more they gather from all corners of Christendom. The more the pay." Lucrezia stated

"Can the college of Cardinals be made to see the light?" La Bella Farnese questioned

"They each have their secrets. If we can find them..." She trailed off and we looked at each other before concentrating back on the service.

------

Word had reached Rome that the battle of the north was successful. His Holiness and Cardinal Sforza had ridden to Florence and Cesare Rode on to the Bitch of Forli. I paced in our room with what could be explained steam coming out of my ears.

"What worries you dearest Natalia" Lucrezia wondered

"Caterina Sforza. I do not trust her alone with Cesare."

"Natalia, Cesare loves you and would do nothing to hurt you. Not even bed Caterina Sforza" I stopped and looked at her.

"Lucrezia it is not him I do not trust. It is her, you did not see the way she looked at him when we confronted them. She is animalistic and I bet that she would use everything we woman have to take what she wanted. To distract and manipulate. She in body is like us and she can and will try to use it." she stood and took my hands.

"Have faith that he will come back to you untainted of that woman. He has not failed you nor will he. You must have that belief dearest Natalia" I nodded

---

I held Lucrezia's arm as we were escorted into a brothel. It was the most unhygienic of places. The smell and the looks of it made me feel unclean and ill. Not only that but I could spot several familiar things in here and it wasn't the deed being done repeatedly.

"A cardinal's stocking Giulia" Vanozza held the garment up and it was taken away from her by a woman.

"You are indeed observant." Giulia replied

"And what do I spy between those mound of sleeping flesh?"

"Why i believe..." Giulia began, Lucrezia and I finished

"A Cardinal. Another one."

"Fuck off" we hear someone groan and we saw the cardinal move off a prostitute "Oh can I help you ladies?" she asked

"We're in search of Cardinals" Giulia replied

"Well you've come to the right place then. We should have called this place the Sistine Chapel." she slapped the Cardinal's rear end. and began to climb down. Lucrezia chuckled slightly

"But the Sistine Chapel is fragrant with incense. It's floors sparkle with cleanliness. Here, the Cardinals lie in filth"

"As do we madam" the woman said and another came up to us top half naked and cloth wrapped around her bottom with drinks. The other woman took a drink off her and she offered the other to Giulia "And you are?"

"The committee for the betterment of the lives of the Roman night" Lucrezia stated

"There is such a committee?" she wondered

"there is now" I stated

"And you have the blessing of?"

"The Pope of Rome" Lucrezia smiled a little

"Oh, Goodness. Well then you must come and meet our Madam then." she gestured to us and took us to her Madam

"Oh, Madam there are some Ladies here to see you" The Madam in question tidy the place offering two chairs for us to sit.

"La Bella. We so rarely have ladies within our walls."

"Hummm, the girls who work here do not qualify as ladies, then?" Giulia asked

"Good God no." she moved something things about. "A Lady has a future"

"And your girls have none?" Vanozza questioned

"Unless they find a patron, my lady. As you yourself must know."

"I was a courtesan, my dear, never a streetwalker." She sat down on one of the chairs

"My girls might walk the streets but they ply their trade here."

"In the vilest conditions"

"And you would better their lot?"

"And yours" I spoke, Madam looked at me "if you play your cards right. You have a certain Clientele." Lucrezia went and sat down

"Of Clerics..."

"Cardinals"

"I am bound by discretion with regard to my clientele, my ladies."

"We have a proposition for you madam." Lucrezia began "That we pay for the refurbishment of your premises. We restore it to cleanliness, comfort a condition of absolute health."

"In return for?"

"Names, on occasion." i replied "Date. The details of any Cardinal who crosses the bounds of the propriety" I finished and she looked at all of us. she made some thinking noises then smiled at us. I knew then we had a agreement in progress.

--------

I rushed into the basilica church and saw the devastation of the lightning bolt.

"Holy Father!" I exclaimed making my way to him.

"No my child it is not safe for you here." I still carried on to him and when I finally reached him I crouched down.

"Are you alright." I checked him and saw he was bleeding "Holy father if I may" I reached my hand up and he slowly nodded i examined his head.

"It is not life threatening Holy Father. But a simple cut, we must clean it before infection."

"How well are you educated?" I helped him to stand

"I am a reader Holy Father, while my daughter sleeps I learn in case there is no one other than me to help. It is but a education to pass the time" I escorted him out and cleaned his cut.

"Thank You Lady Natalia" I bowed and kissed his ring before leaving.