La Bella Natalia - Chapter Ten

"Are you ready, Natalia?" Lucrezia questioned. Juan was unfortunately supposed to be returning to day. We had to be there to welcome him back with open arms, well appear to do so. I blame him for his return and Cesare's departure.

"Yes let us welcome your 'dear brother' back." I replied as we both left my chambers with our children on our arm

"You and I both know there is nothing dear about him."

"That we do, Lucrezia, That we do." We arrived and there were two chairs for us to be seated in which we took and sat Amara and Giovanni on our laps. Amara was growing so quickly she was growing locks of dark brown hair like her father. She had my brown eyes which were deep and mesmerizing.

"The most respected Duke of Gandia, Juan Borgia!" he was announced as the doors opened and he walked in like the arrogant soul he was. I could tell he hadn't changed all that much. He kissed his father papal ring and greeted him.

"A gift" he declared as he stepped back to retrieve a box and hand it to his father. But it was a mysterious animal that caught my eye.

"What is that?" Lucrezia asked before me standing up

"This dear sister is a gift for you like no other" Juan replied.

"For me?" she wondered. I stood and we went to inspect it.

"It's called a panther" Juan explained

"Are such beasts common in Spain?"

"Not anymore" it growled and I stepped back, while Amara started crying scared of the beast.

"Please excuse me Holy Father" he nodded and I left

-----

"So, Lucrezia I have heard that you have accepted to meet Calavino Pallavicini?"

"Yes if only to determine the color of his eyes"

"Of course you have" I smiled "And I suppose it has nothing to do with his brother, who I saw you took a shine to is it?" she gasped

"Natalia, why on earth would I look at the second brother."

"Oh Lucrezia, I know you almost as well as your brother. You like to taste what is forbidden."

"I do know not of what you speak of ." she denied

"Of course you do not." I chuckled but then i turned serious "If you wish to walk down this path I ask that you be careful. I know that I do not control you but you are like a sister to me and I would hate to see you become hurt." I kissed her cheek.

"Thank you, Natalia." she sighed "Now what news from my brother"

"He does not speak much about his business, he informs be that things are not well and that more severe actions might have to be taken. Which means he could return soon before leaving again." I sat down looking at the fire.

"You miss him greatly."

"That I do, Lucrezia my love for him drowns in sorrow. I knew he would be away a lot, Your father not meaning to I know send him away on missions that he trusts no one else with. I just have this burning fear that one day he may not return and Amara will know not her father. I have seen what it has done to you and I do not think I could bear it." She kneels down and takes my hands

"Such fate will not become him. My Paolo was a simple stable boy who no one took care of. Cesare is the son of the pope and if anything untoward were to befall him justice of god and the Borgia family would be swift and ruthless. Besides he has something to fight for, we both know he can and he would just to return back to you and Amara."

"Do not forget you and his parents"

"I would never. But you have changed him, Natalia. I have noticed that he is more driven to protect his family. He fights not only for us but for you as well."

"But I am not a Borgia"

" Only lawfully I assure you. And you and I both know that if our father removed his robes he would marry you in a heartbeat because the great Cesare Borgia has fallen so deeply and un- reversibly  in love with you. None of us now would have it any other way." I smiled down softly at her

"Thank you Lucrezia" she kissed my hands and we sat there for a while

------

Lucrezia was supposed to be here to meet Calvino Pallavicini. But she was not here and he was about to arrive here at any moment. The trumpets sounded alerting us of his arrival and the doors opened.

"Presenting the most honourable Calvino Pallavicini da Genova" he bowed toward the holy father

"Your Holiness" he stated, Holy Father held up his hand with his papal ring and Calvino stood and placed his lips to the ring.

"The Lady Lucrezia will be here presently" we waitied but she was being allusive and somewhat a little disrespectful. The doors opened and in was brought the panther. Oh dear Lord what was she doing. I covered my eyes and shook my head as the beast was  left growling.

"Our daughters pet, goes everywhere with her" I looked at Vanozza and sighed. Finally the doors opened again.

"Presenting the most gracious Lucrezia Borgia" finally she had arrived holding a small dish with her head held high. The men bowed in her presence but she paid tem no attention.  she fed the beast and looked to her father curtsying.

"Father" he held out his hand and she went to kiss his ring but he pulled away saying something to her in which she replied. She turned and gravitated toward the second brother.

"Madam may I present my brother Calvino Pallavicini da Geneva"

"Madam I am truly honoured" he spoke

"And I am truly honoured to meet you too." she replied and turned to her father who was clearly expecting more.

"Father" she turned to leave

"Lucrezia!" she turned back

"Oh please forgive me i forget. Please accept this beast as a gift. It is the only one of its kind in the land." she went to leave again but turned to inform him.

"He eats only meat"