chapter four

"I'm f-" Kihyun sneezed twice, in a quick succession, whole body tensing and shuddering. "-f-fine." Yet despite this he spoke as sternly as ever.

It was Friday night, and the three were standing outside Kihyuns apartment after a long day, which mirrored what the rest of the week had been like.

Changkyun poked Hyunwoo as Kihyun was getting the keys out, frustratedly finding it difficult against the bleak shadow of feeling unwell ever since he had awoken this morning, and it had been hanging over him all day.

"Yeah?" Hyunwoo looked at the toddler, who used his hand as a shield as he whispered to Hyunwoo.

"He sick like Honey?" Changkyuns said in a voice full of concern, likely remembering those days Honey hadn't been able to come play. Not even Minhyuk was able to cheer up Changkyun, in fact sometimes those  efforts had seemed rather counter intuitive.

Hyunwoo nodded in reply, as Kihyun at last managed the door, making a frustrated sound as he finally got in. Changkyun gasped slightly, bouncing in Hyunwoo's arms and holding his shoulder.

"Woo help!" Changkyun pleaded with him, lower lip sticking out in a great effort of pleading.

"What's Woo helping with?" Kihyun asked, exhausted eyes narrowing. The dark under circles were more visible than yesterday, and his complexion was pale, flushed.

Hyunwoo looked between Kihyun and Changkyun, one expression expectant and tired, the other pleading and worried.

"Well..." put on the spot, Hyunwoo wasn't sure what words would be the right ones. But Kihyun beat him too it.

"Listen, Hyunwoo, thanks for helping today but I'm really tired. Tomorrow I'll take my car into the shop and it should be done by Monday so..." he trailed off, assuming Hyunwoo understood the rest. He didn't expect to feel so deflated though. "Message me whenever you think of what you wanted to say."

"Yeah, yeah, of course." Hyunwoo chickened, having to lower an unhappy Changkyun to the floor. "It was no problem."

"I'll see you later." Kihyun tiredly waved, and Hyunwoo did so in return to the pair, saying goodbye to Changkyun as well, trying his hardest not to get trapped in his watery eyes.

No sooner was he down the hall did Hyunwoo hear Changkyun crying.

•••

Saturday at last, and one would assume that'd mean a short break at least.

No, not for Yoo Kihyun. It just so happened this morning, the precursor of feeling miserable was only a small taste of what was to come when he awoke the next day, his misery magically tripled to a pounding headache and feeling like he was on fire, dizzy and nauseous, all delivered in a beautifully horrid package at the same time as soon as he awoke.

Kihyun was already awake when the bed dipped, and Changkyuns little presence appeared early in the morning.

"Hey baby?" Kihyun mumbled, his throat even felt hot and congested. Changkyun stopped moving so Kihyun figured he was listening. "Kiki's not feeling good, and I don't want you to get sick so don't come too close okay?"

Even though right now all Kihyun wanted was the comfort of holding Changkyun, it would break his heart if it was his fault for him to suffer. Kihyun hated it when Changkyun was sick, knowing he felt miserable and there was nothing he could do.

But Kihyun felt the dip leave the bed, and half opened his eyes. Getting out of bed was the last thing he felt like doing, but he needed to sooner or later. Changkyun needed to be taken care of, he needed to take the car in, and put the car seat back in, seeing as it had spent the last week of transit in Hyunwoo's car, only to have been taken out yesterday...