chapter eleven

Something was definitely off since Changkyuns birthday party.

The first couple of days were fine afterwards, but then... then Hyunwoo noticed it. And he wasn't sure how he could've missed it, this strange and confusing phenomenon that he had never witnessed in all their two years together.

Kihyun was being...

Needy.

Ordinarily, that's not a problem. But that's for 'ordinary' people, and Kihyun was far from that.  See, Kihyun took pride in doing things himself and staying as independent as possible. That was just how he worked.

And in a way, it was one of his charming factors. Hyunwoo would've liked it if Kihyun was needy sometimes, but that just didn't really happen.

Emphasis on 'didnt', because it was now. And Hyunwoo had no idea why.

"Hyunwoooo~" Kihyun drawled, his back to the other in bed. "I'm thirsty."

Hyunwoo squinted. Usually Kihyun would mumble to himself about getting water, and kick his way out of the sheets and get it himself.

He wasn't going to complain though, he liked doing things for Kihyun. But this shift was just so weird.

"Do you want ice?" Hyunwoo moved the blanket aside to get up, and Kihyun grumbled back a 'no' in response.

A minute and several tip toes later Hyunwoo returned to Kihyun who was sitting up now, apparently waiting for the other to get back. Hyunwoo offered the cup and Kihyun took it wordlessly.

He watched the shorter as he sat back down on the bed, trying to figure what he could have missed.

Should he ask if something's wrong? Is that a good idea? What if it's nothing and that would just make Kihyun mad at him? What if Hyunwoo was supposed to know what was wrong already? Oh no.

"What do you want?" Kihyun said, suddenly at a startling proximity. Hyunwoo didn't even notice when that happened, he must've been too caught up in his own mind.

"Huh? I was thinking." He bit the inside of his cheek, trying very hard not to let it slip. But Kihyuns sharp X-ray eyes must've seen that.

In a very un-Kihyun way, the smaller draped his arms around Hyunwoo's shoulders, raising his eyebrows. "About?"

Don't don't don't-

"Ever since Changkyuns party you've been a bit different and I just wanted to know why-"

Hyunwoo stopped the second he saw Kihyuns expression.

No, it wasn't the 'I'm going to rip you apart and feed you to the neighbors dogs' look that he was accustomed to, but a more melancholy sadness, or maybe concern that Hyunwoo had actually noticed in the first place, as if it was a well kept secret.

Kihyuns arms fell from around Hyunwoo's shoulders. "It-it's nothing." He tried, but his voice was just barely an octave too high for that statement to be true.

Honestly all Hyunwoo had to do was meet eyes with Kihyun and hold them, letting the silence do all the asking.

He expected Kihyun to roll his eyes and say it was something like how Hyunwoo kept leaving the milk out and that he was annoyed about it, or he had hurt his back and had been hiding it hoping it'd heal.

What Hyunwoo expected did not happen.

Instead Kihyun's shoulders sagged as he tore his eyes away from Hyunwoo's, looking straight up at the ceiling instead with a small quiver.