chapter nine

What Hyunwoo wasn't going to say, was the fact he had been standing outside Kihyuns apartment door for fifteen minutes, mainly to try and ready himself and fix his hair.

At one point, Kihyuns next door neighbor returned home and gave Hyunwoo a peculiar look. It led to an awkward greeting, as Hyunwoo had to stand there awkwardly as his neighbor unlocked their door and went inside. About then was when Hyunwoo decided it was a good idea to knock.

It wasn't but a minute before the door swung open, and Kihyun smiled pleasantly up at Hyunwoo.

He stepped aside to let Hyunwoo in, which the taller obliged.

"You look nice," Kihyun noted, standing by as Hyunwoo slipped his shoes off at the front door.

He noticed Kihyuns socks were mismatched, and it was cute.

"Thanks. You do too by the way." But Kihyun rolled his eyes at Hyunwoo's returned curtesy, motioning him over to the living room.

Hyunwoo followed Kihyuns lead and took a seat at the little coffee table, taking notice of how Kihyun had straightened up and made this little set up. He'd seen his house enough to know what state it usually was in, and this wasn't it.

Kihyun didn't meet Hyunwoo's eyes, but Hyunwoo didn't need to see him to know he must've had a pink tint to his cheeks.

"I figured we could both use a little wine, and quiet away from kids." He shrugged, pouring some into the glasses. They weren't fancy wine glasses even, they were just plastic cups. Kihyuns had fish stickers on it.

Hyunwoo tried hard to not laugh because of that, because it was true, this silence was nice. When you spend most of your time taking care of kids you can forget what it's like to be your own person. It's like a weird child mode you go into.

He took the cup Kihyun offered with a 'thanks', watching Kihyun take the first drink. Well, swig really. Hyunwoo sipped his own, rethinking on what he had meant to say earlier this morning.

He'd had all day to think about it, and he wasn't sure whether he could now. It's much different when you're in the moment compared to sitting and theorizing for hours until the bravery that was there dissolves. Hyunwoo was an honest man. But this was a rare time that he found it was hard to speak his mind.

Oh, but the way Kihyun eyed him it was like he was reading his mind, lips quirked in a tiny smile, awaiting whatever elegant speech Hyunwoo could have, but probably picked up on the fact that there hadn't been one prepared.

"I was thinking," Hyunwoo started, slowly. He wasn't drinking his wine but he held it and slightly rotated the cup, momentarily watching the wine swirl and contemplating his words before looking back up. "About earlier, and this is like, for the future- not now, it doesn't have to be. But it's just what I was thinking because I can see it in the future. And I think it'd be nice but it's up to you, whenever you'd like-"

"Hyunwoo," Kihyun cut him off, despite how he enjoyed the cute rambling, he wanted an explanation. "What about in the 'future'?"

Hyunwoo shrugged, pausing as he brought the cup to his lips. He wasn't sure whether Kihyun listening so intently made it easier or harder; maybe it was both.  "That maybe in the future you'd want to be boyfriends." And then he casually drank as if he'd been striking up conversation about the weather.