chapter eight

It shouldn't have been surprising, when they hurriedly broke apart like kids caught in the act of making a mess, and both locked eyes with the source of the scream.

Lee Minhyuk's face shone clearly in the window of the door to the Safari room, a hand over his mouth but the smile was all too visible in the sounds he was making, still audible despite the door being closed.

Kihyuns face felt hot, and Hyunwoo looked endlessly awkward.

Minhyuk looked far too smug for someone who caught his coworker kissing a single dad, and he disappeared from the window.

Kihyun glanced at Hyunwoo, unbelieving at what he had just done. He kissed him. He kissed Hyunwoo, and Hyunwoo had most definitely kissed back.

"So..." Kihyun quietly trailed off, and he considered his options before deciding on what to say next. "Want to come over for dinner?"

Hyunwoo's awkward aura dissipated, as if he had been anxious about Kihyun was going to say. Or do.

"I'd actually really like to. If you don't mind, of course." His eyes disappeared with his smile, and Kihyun felt for the first time that frustrated jealous beast inside of him disappear.

"But first we should get Changkyun," Kihyun looked at the Safari room door. "Before Minhyuk does."

•••

It was weird. After the kiss, it didn't feel that different. The three were on the couch in Kihyuns apartment, almost an hour later, Changkyun between the two as they watched a movie Changkyun picked, something about a stork delivering a pink haired baby. It was cute, but Kihyun found two other things in this room ten times cuter than that.

Luckily earlier they had gotten in the room before Minhyuk spilled the beans on what he saw, so Changkyun had no idea what his dad had been up to.

The remains of the delivery chicken dinner was scattered over the table, all of them full and happy and a little bit sleepy.

Kihyun really wasn't sure what to say about earlier. That he desperately hoped they could make this into a relationship? What if it was an accident, maybe Hyunwoo just felt bad for him. No. He wasn't that type of person. Hyunwoo was genuine, and kind. He would know that would've hurt Kihyun, if it was for nothing.

"Hyunw-"

"Shhhhh!" Hyunwoo tried to hush Kihyun, and Kihyun looked between them at Changkyun.

The toddler was fast asleep, his head resting on Hyunwoo's arm like a pillow. Kihyun looked at the hanging wall clock, seeing it was past Changkyuns bedtime. Poor kid must've been exhausted.

Kihyuns heart inflated, loving everything about this moment.

"He ran around a lot today, I'm surprised he stayed awake as long as he did." Hyunwoo whispered, keeping his tone low as not to wake Changkyun.

Kihyun grinned at him. "I bet."

"Kihyun?"

"Mhm?"

A momentary pause. Kihyun wished he could read minds, finding that searching Hyunwoo's face for a clue as to what he was thinking difficult.

Finally he spoke, but it wasn't what Kihyun had expected.

"Thank you."

Kihyun furrowed his eyebrows slightly. He should be the one saying thank you, what had he done for Hyunwoo? "What do you mean?"

Hyunwoo was smiling nonetheless. "Being you. Letting me sort of be a part of this. " he motioned to Changkyun, still sound asleep.

"I didn't let you." Kihyun rolled his eyes. "You let yourself in."