chapter ten

Kihyun was in utter turmoil, but he wanted to get done as soon as possible. He wanted to get home and see Changkyun, despite how miserable it was that he hadn't been there today. Of all days.

He had tried so hard to get today off, he would've done anything. But he didn't get cut any slack, not even for his kid.

As soon as he was allowed he practically sprinted out the door after work, quickly saying goodbye and checking out, nearly getting run over in the parking lot as he ran to his car.

Kihyun briefly checked his phone, sending out a message to Hyunwoo that he was on his way. Chances were they'd be home by now.

It was bad enough that Kihyun had to work today, even worse if he didn't get home in time for dinner. He had planned to stop by the store and get Changkyun something, but it was too late for that.

For the hundredth time he cursed his job, even though it was nice to still have one after that scare two years ago, but he had worked too hard to give this job up by now. Invested too much to get to where he was.

Kihyun would make it back in time. He had to.

•••

Something was... suspicious.

He didn't notice it upon first entering the apartment, but the first giveaway was when Hyunwoo was the first person to run up as Kihyun was in the middle of taking his shoes off. And of course the biggest tell was the first thing that came out of his mouth had been-

"Please don't be mad at me."

Kihyun narrowed his eyes as he kicked his shoes off in a slow, hopefully menacing way.

"What have you done Hyunwoo?" He asked, about ready for an intervention before Changkyun popped up from behind Hyunwoo with a huge smile.

"You're home! Hurry, everyone's coming soon Ki!" Changkyun said, practically shaking in excitement and running back into the living room holding something that looked an awful lot like streamers.

Hyunwoo could see from Kihyuns look that he should really start explaining himself now.

"Well since we weren't really... doing anything for Changkyuns birthday, we had an idea of throwing a party. Surprise!" Hyunwoo chuckled, whether it was for the sake of laughter or fear was unknown.

Hyunwoo pecked Kihyun's cheek and then ran off after the five year old.

Kihyun sighed. "We're talking about this later, Sohn Hyunwoo!"

He wanted to be mad at him, honestly. He planned a birthday party for Changkyun without telling him, but how could he? Changkyun looked so excited. Kihyun wasn't happy he hadn't had been informed, but as long as it wasn't a train wreck, Hyunwoo deserved some sort of credit.

When Kihyun came in to see the rest of the house, his hard work was evident in all the streamers taped up and cute decorations suiting of a five year old.

Changkyun was absolutely glowing amongst all of it, a little party hat on sideways as he set up some juice boxes on the table.

Hyunwoo passed Kihyun with a tray of little cupcakes. "I'll make it up to you." Hyunwoo offered Kihyun a cupcake, which the shorter reluctantly accepted. Hyunwoo kissed his cheek briskly before setting up the cute platter on the table, trying to keep Changkyun from grabbing one.

At least he didn't have to work on setting anything up. Kihyun unwrapped his cupcake, filled with sprinkles and topped with matching blue icing.

Hyunwoo had never been extraordinary at cooking, which Kihyun had learned about a year ago. The initial show of cooking for Kihyun and baking turned out to be all the meager things the man could make, and it turned out his kitchen knowledge stretched as far as soup, cookies, eggs, and ramen.