chapter seven

•••

Sometimes, when Changkyun is in a bad mood, it makes life a living hell. It's fortunate Kihyun had this thing called unconditional love for him.

Kihyun was barely dressed, and he could tell Changkyun was highly opposed to doing so himself by the screaming, trying to corner the child with a pair of clothes in hand. And then came the familiar knock on the door.

"Don't-" Kihyun held up a finger, meeting Changkyuns highly defiant eyes. "Don't move."

And he slowly backed up, keeping an eye on Changkyun incase he was going to bolt, and quickly reached the door and opened it to Hyunwoo.

Hyunwoo had heard what was happening inside from down the hall. That much was evident by the poorly concealed grin on his face. "Bad mood?"

Kihyuns shoulders sagged and he numbly nodded. "Pants." He grumbled, turning around and leaving Hyunwoo to let himself in.

Hyunwoo followed Kihyun, closing the door behind him. Sure enough Changkyun was sprawled face first on the floor, screaming and crying his eyes out, paying no mind to the fact they had neighbors.

The first thing Hyunwoo wanted to do was run up and hug Changkyun until he felt better- but Kihyun had a different angle to things.

"Yoo Changkyun," he said sternly, kneeling beside Changkyun who kicked the wooden floors as if to beat them into submission. "You're going to go into time out if you don't get dressed. "

For a second there was a pause in the cries, but then he turned his face away from Kihyun. "I want to time out."

Kihyun picked up Changkyuns pants, sighing in an over the top way. "Okay. Go to time out. You'll have to stay there all day, guess you won't be able to go with Woo to go see Honey." Kihyun stood up, slyly grinning at Hyunwoo, who noticed Changkyun stopped his tantrum all together.

As soon as Kihyun turned around to begin and walk away, Changkyun leaped up and sobbed loudly.

"No! No!" He protested as he reached for his pants that Kihyun was holding, desperately crying again. "I want pants! I want pants!"

Only Hyunwoo noticed Kihyuns victorious look, and he was handed the pants.

"Help Changkyun get dressed, I'll make him a sandwich for breakfast."

And as Kihyun walked away, Hyunwoo felt intensely impressed at him. Seems like being stern can handle a tantrum just as well as hugs and coddling.

Hyunwoo was really good at keeping his thoughts under wraps, but it'd be dishonest to himself if he didn't admit he felt something stir in his chest when he saw him smiling like that. 

•••

The week went by... relatively normally. He saw Hyunwoo everyday, smiled at him, saw the smile returned, and felt his heart suffering at all the could-have-beens.

He was slightly disappointed to wake up Saturday and not have Hyunwoo show up. But he was at least a little glad that he wasn't stuck in bed and sick.

But his disappointment mounted higher when he knew he had no excuses to not take the car into the shop and finally get it fixed. He needed his car functional again, even if that meant no more seeing Hyunwoo first thing in the morning, or after work.

Now there was no reason for Hyunwoo to come over anymore.

The thought was disheartening, but altogether unavoidable as he called for a mechanic early that morning.