Chapter Two

Picture is of Jake and Josh Harris, Jacyn's brothers

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

Around five o'clock, Josh came down to the deck to get Jacyn. The pair was heading over to the pot yard where the captains and their families tended to hang out before the start of every season. Jacyn could remember running around with the other captains' children at a young age and she couldn't wait to see them all again. It had been way too long.

They pulled up to the spot in Josh's truck, getting out and approaching the large bin that was producing fire. Ah, fires. They always had good times listening to stories around the fire when they were younger.

She could see Sig standing with Keith and Monte, Mandy sitting on a log away from them.

"Joshy boy!" Sig exclaimed, hitting her brother on the back. "It's good to see you! Are you sure you're ready to be captain, tough guy?"

"As ready as I'll ever be. I have Casey to help me. He'll be taking the reins while I sit back and learn how to do it."

"That's a smart choice, kid," Keith responded. "You don't want to be steering if you don't know what you're doing. That'll only get your guys hurt."

"Not just guys," Jacyn butt in. "He's got a girl on the boat too, now."

Sig raised his eyebrows and then grinned. "Jacyn, look how big you've gotten! How old are you now?"

"29."

"Well welcome to the fleet! Why don't you go over and talk to Mandy for a bit. She'll be excited to hear there's another woman in the fleet."

She nodded, excused herself and headed over to the log where Mandy was sitting by herself. Jacyn took a seat beside her.

"Hey girl," Jacyn smiled. "How're you doing?"

"I'm doing great. I can't wait to get out and start fishing," she replied. "What're you doing here?"

"Josh is letting me come out with him. We're going to be the first two women to do this job."

"Yes! Awesome! I have another woman to prove to the boys that we can do it!"

She held up her hand for a high five and Jacyn clapped their hands together with a laugh.

"Well, well, looky who we have here," a voice said from in front of them.

Jacyn looked up to the person who approached, only to see Scotty Hillstrand standing there with two beers in his hand. He held out one for her and she stood up, taking it. She then wrapped her arms around Scotty to say hello.

"I heard you're coming out with your brother," he said, taking a seat next to her on the log.

"Yes I am. You got a problem with that, pretty boy?"

"No, I don't have a problem with that. But, really, pretty boy? That's the best you can do after not seeing me for about four years?"

She rolled her eyes teasingly and laughed. Typical Scotty. He had such a smartass attitude. But she wasn't lying when she called him a pretty boy. He was looking good these days. When she was younger she had a crush on him, but that quickly was lost when he got married and had a son.

"How's Sawyer doing?" she wondered.

"He's great. I can't believe how fast he's growing up. But I can tell you right now, that boy is going to be exactly like me. I feel bad for his mother," he chuckled.

"I feel bad for her too," Jacyn laughed. "I mean, what did she even see in you when she married you?"

"Hey, that was hurtful," he feigned being hurt. "And to be honest, I don't even know. But I guess she didn't see enough in me seeing as we've been broken up for almost six years."

"Aww, Scotty!" she pouted, pinching his cheeks. "I still think you're a great guy!"

He smirked. "That's only because you have a crush on me."

"What? I don't have a crush on you! What did Josh tell you? JOSH!"

"Ut oh," Josh said from the fire and took off once he saw Jacyn's angry look.

Josh had indeed told Scott about how Jacyn used to have a major crush on him. They had both laughed their heads off, shaking off the possibility of Jacyn ever being with Scott. Like that would ever happen.

Jacyn chased her brother around the small area until she caught up, jumping on his back. She bit him and hit him a couple of times until he called mercy.

"Alright, children, play nice," Johnathan chuckled.

"I'll play nice when Josh apologizes for spilling the beans to your son!" Jacyn huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Hey, it just came out one day when I was working on the Time Bandit. Why does it matter? It was such a long time ago. You were a kid!" Josh exclaimed.

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"And this is why we don't have females in the fleet..."Andy spoke. "Too much freaking drama comes with women."

Mandy and Jacyn both turned to face him, hands on their hips. "Hey!" they exclaimed, glaring.

"Do you want to be beat up too?" Mandy challenged.

"Hey now, be respectful," Sig reprimanded.

She rolled her eyes and sat back down on the log, talking to Scott. Jacyn went back over to them, joining the conversation like nothing had just happened.

Sig began putting out the fire two hours later. "I think it's time we head back to the boats to get some rest before we head out tomorrow morning," he said.

"Alright, we'll be heading out. Come on Jay," Josh said, ushering her to follow him.

Jacyn got up and looked down at her two friends. "Mandy, you be careful out there and good luck. Prove those guys wrong. And Scott, don't be an idiot. Be safe," she said.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine. Now run along," he replied, shooing her.

"Well goodbye to you too then!" she grumbled, starting to walk away.

"And good luck out there. Don't get your sexy ass hurt," he called after her.

Blushing, she continued the walk to Josh's truck where he was waiting. As they road back to the boat, all she could think about was the fact that Scotty, her childhood crush, had just called her sexy. It was like she was teenager again, blushing and giggling.

No, you can't let him distract you. You have work to do starting tomorrow, Jacyn scolded herself in her mind. The most important thing right now is keeping yourself safe and proving to your brother and the rest of the guys that women can indeed go crab fishing.

That night as she laid on the top bunk, her brother sleeping below her, she drifted off to sleep with thoughts of what this opilio season would bring. It was unpredictable. Anything goes when it comes to crab fishing. Hopefully fate would be on their side this year.

~COPYRIGHT 2014~