Chapter Fourteen

Video of late Captain Phil Harris, Josh and Jacyn's father, explains crab farts

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

The crew of the Cornelia Marie had spent the last one and a half days working nonstop, setting pots and letting them soak. After a short power nap, they stood on the deck awaiting the cue to pull up the first pot of the season. This would set the mood of the entire trip.

"You smell those crab farts Joshy?" Jacyn screamed up to the wheelhouse. "We're right above them! We're going to do great this season!"

Josh burst out laughing in his seat. Only his sister would bring that up. Crab farts were an infamous thing that only their father said worked to find the crab. Maybe his sister was right. Maybe they were right above the crab. As a child she did have a keen sense of sniffing out the crab. Chuckling, he grabbed the radio and spoke down to the crew.

"Alright guys, we've got some crab farts and we've got the first pot coming up. Let's bring the crab in!" he exclaimed.

All of the crew cheered enthusiastically. Travis went to the starboard and waited for the buoys to get closer. He threw the hook with all of his might and it caught the buoys. That signaled the start of the season.

As the block pulled up the line, everybody held their breath. They were hoping it would be a good pot, not an empty one like last season started them off with. As the pot breached the water, a roar erupted from the crew. The pot was filled!

"YES!" Jacyn shrieked, jumping up and down.

Josh was screaming, "Wooo!" over the intercom over and over again and the guys were laughing and shouting. This was a start to a great season. Maybe they would end up winning this competition after all.

"I guess those crab farts paid off," Josh said over the intercom.

"That they did, Joshy, that they did," his sister agreed, beginning to help the crew sort through the crabs.

Meanwhile on the Time Bandit, they were having quite the same luck. Bringing up pot after pot stuffed with crab, their crew was also convinced that they would win the competition.

"So where are you bringing Jacyn out to dinner when we win?" Eddie Jr. wondered, still sorting crab.

"I don't know. Just somewhere around," Scott shrugged.

"It better be somewhere good after all you've put her through. You owe that much to her," Axel told him. "And if you want a chance of getting her back."

"I'm not stupid, Ax."

"I beg to differ."

Scott picked up a king crab and chucked it at his cousin. Axel glared at him, grabbed it, and tossed it back.

"Hey! Don't kill the crab!" Johnathan reprimanded over the speaker.

The guys rolled their eyes and continued on with sorting the crab.

Days later, both boats were heading back to the Harbor to empty out their first load. The Time Bandit beat the Cornelia Marie in and got to unload first. They were satisfied with their first load. And when the Cornelia Marie got their chance to unload, they were satisfied as well.

That night, the crews planned on meeting up in the pot yard to compare numbers. The captains approached one another, their posse following behind. Johnathan and Andy started cracking up.

"This is like a schoolyard fight," John chuckled when Josh got up to them. "I can't beat up someone who's like a son to me!"

"I believe it's us who will be beating you," Josh said.

"Ha, you wish!" Andy said.

"Shall we?" he asked, shaking his papers out.

The men rattled out the numbers and to their amazement, the Cornelia Marie was ahead, by a few hundred pounds.

"Ha! Take that Hillstrand!" Jacyn bragged, poking Scott in the chest.

He was quick to grab her hand and pin it to his chest. Jacyn tried to pull it away, but it was to no avail.

"Not so strong now, are ya?" Scott taunted her.

She humphed and stomped her foot, continuing to try to pull her hand away from him. He let go with a chuckle and she stepped back, glaring at him.

"You think you're so strong!" she said, sticking out her tongue.

"Really sis?" Josh questioned, amused. "You're acting like a five year old."

"I can act how I want to Josh," she huffed, stomping away like a child.

Josh and Scott watched her in amusement and then turned to one another.

"Do you honestly think you're going to win?" Scott asked him.

"Hell yeah. I'd love to see you as bait boy! It'll beat me kicking your ass any day," he said.

"Yeah man, I still have fucking bruises! You're lucky you didn't screw me up for the season!"

"Rub some dirt it in, brother. You're a Hillstrand. If you told your dad and uncles that I kicked your ass, they'd laugh in your face. They all know that you screwed up."

"Are we cool though, man? We were best friends before this all."

"We're cool, but if you hurt my baby sister again, you're done for."

"Yes sir."

"Well, good luck out there. May the best win," Josh finally ended the conversation. "Come on guys, let's head out again. We got a boat to beat!"

"Good luck with that!" the captains of the Time Bandit called after them.

Josh and Jacyn threw up the middle finger as they walked away, making the guys from the Time Bandit laugh. The siblings were way too much alike. They couldn't imagine what it would be like later this season when Jake returned. The Bering Sea would have a heck of a boat to deal with.

~COPYRIGHT 2014~