Chapter Sixteen

~COPYRIGHT 2014~

It was a few weeks later when the boats were coming into the Harbor for their final offload. Some boats were left to wait for the processing plant to open up, stuck out in the open sea until it was their turn. And that meant more risk of dead loss. That could ruin all the hard work they had just done.

The Cornelia Marie and Time Bandit crew met up one last time, this time at a local bar. After buying drinks and sitting around a couple of large tables, the two captains faced one another.

"Who's going first?" Jacyn asked from behind her brother.

"Whoever wants to," Scott responded from behind his father.

He was nervously sipping his drink, not knowing which boat was going to win. He was hoping it was his family boat but with how well the Cornelia Marie was doing this year, it was either crew's game.

Josh agreed on going first and read his numbers. John stared at his paper with shock written on his face and put it down on the table, admitting defeat.

"It was only by a couple hundred pounds, but you guys beat us," John admitted. "Congrats, man."

The Cornelia Marie crew stood up and cheered. They pulled Jacyn into their circle and did a humungous group hug. When the excitement died down, they went back to having their drinks, talking to the Time Bandit crew like nothing had just went down between them.

"Excited to be bait boy for the Bairdi season?" Jacyn asked with a smirk on her face, approaching Scott.

"Oh yeah, I can't wait. It'll be a piece of cake compared to doing everything else," he said confidently.

"Oh, don't think you're going to get cut any slack. We have quite a few plans for you."

"And what would those plans be?"

"You'll have to wait and see big guy," she told him, patting him on the back and taking a sip of her beer. "John, what do you think about us taking your son away from the boat for a while?"

"He deserves everything he gets from you guys. Just don't hurt him too much," John replied.

"Dad, I thought you were on my side!" Scott whined.

"Not this time, son. You got yourself into this mess and you're going to suffer the consequences of messing with the Harris family. I learned my lesson a long time ago."

"Consequences? Pssh, Josh wouldn't hurt his best friend! He couldn't hurt a fly!"

Josh raised his eyebrows. "You may be my best friend, but as you know, that doesn't mean that I can't kick your ass. You will take everything we throw at you whether or not you like it. And I can tell you right now, you're going to get it. Jacyn has some interesting things up her sleeve," he warned.

"You guys better take pictures," Andy laughed. "I can't wait to see him get humiliated."

"Gee thanks Uncle Andy," Scott huffed.

"No problem," he said, patting him on the back.

"Well, we're going to head back to the boat for a bit of rest and then we're going to set up for Bairdi," John told everyone. "Scott, you should come get your stuff and then head back over to the Cornelia Marie."

"Yeah, we're going back to get some rest as well so come over when you want. We'll show you which bunk room you'll be getting when you get there," Josh said.

Both crews paid for their drinks and went their separate ways to their boats. Scott went back to the Time Bandit to pack up his things and when he was finished, went up to the wheelhouse to say goodbye to his father and uncles.

"Good luck. I hope you have fun as a bait boy," was all that his father said. "Be safe out there."

"I'll try. Lord only knows what Jacyn's going to put me through."

"Like I said before, you deserve every last bit of what you get."

Scott rolled his eyes and headed down to the deck to get off the boat. His crew mates cast him off with a farewell and good luck. They all knew he was going to need it.

When he arrived at the Cornelia Marie, he didn't get the greeting he expected when he entered the galley. There were no "hellos" or "how you doings". Instead there was laughter and teasing.

"Well if it isn't the new bait boy!" Travis exclaimed, slapping his back. "Ready for your fantastic line of work, fisherman?"

"Not really, but whatever."

"Aww come on, we need to see a better attitude than that. We don't like greenhorns who complain," Zack taunted.

"Greenhorn? I'm no greenhorn. I've been doing this shit since I was a boy. I'll show you a fucking greenhorn."

"Hey now, everybody settle down and give the man some space. He needs a break after all we have coming for him. No use in getting him riled up now when we know he's going to be later," Jacyn told the guys.

They all laid off and went back to doing what they were before; nothing.

"Come on, I'll show you where you're going to be staying," she said, ushering him to follow her.

They headed through the small cabin to a door at the end. She shoved it open and pointed to a small bunk in the corner.

"You'll be sharing this room with Zack. Just a word of advice, don't piss him off too bad otherwise you'll feel his wrath."

"What, you were too scared to share a bunk room with me?" he asked, his eyebrows raised and a smirk plastered on his face.

"No one on the boat shares a bunk room with me. I get my own. So shut your mouth and unpack your stuff before I beat that smirk right off of your face for that dumbass comment," she warned and walked away, slamming the door behind her.

After storming out of Scott and Zack's bunk room, Jacyn headed upstairs to the wheelhouse where her brother and Casey were talking to one another, strategizing for the Bairdi trip ahead.

"Scott's here," she let her brother know.

"Who's he bunking with?" he wondered.

"Zack."

"Good," he replied. "Now, I know I don't have to have the talk with you, seeing as you're way too old for that, but there will be no sex happening on this boat between you and Scott. You will stay out of his bunk room unless I say otherwise."

She crossed her arms over her chest and gave him a glare. "Who are you to tell a grown woman what to do?"

"I'm the captain, that's who. And you will do as I say when you're working on my boat."

"I know," she laughed. "I just like getting you riled up. And don't worry, there won't be anything going on between me and Scott until he proves himself and knowing him, that won't be anytime soon."

"I don't know, Jay. You guys had a difficult few months at the beginning of the year and I know he took it hard as well. I mean, if he won he was going to bring you out to dinner. That's got to mean something," Josh informed her.

"Guess we'll find out. If he can take all we throw at him with good humor, then maybe I'll consider working things out."

"Who are you kidding? You're head over heels for that kid," Casey butt in.

"Who asked you for your opinion?" she sassed him.

"No one, but we all know it's true."

"Shut up!" she huffed and stomped back downstairs.

Josh and Casey shared knowing looks and laughed. She put on a tough front but deep down she was madly in love with Scott Hillstrand. Madly.

~COPYRIGHT 2014~